October 18, 2017, 06:39:01 AM

Author Topic: Exclusive Guitar Grounds Dallas Rangemaster Clone offer  (Read 17875 times)

Offline tiptonamps

• Cap'n Yam Yam
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tipton-amps.co.uk
Exclusive Guitar Grounds Dallas Rangemaster Clone offer
« on: October 30, 2010, 01:30:46 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi folks,

As we all know, one of *the* iconic guitar tones that makes most guitarists go weak at the knees, myself included, is that tone as recorded on the John Mayall 'Beano' album, featuring a young Eric Clapton. He got his sound by punching the front end of a Marshall JTM45 combo (the so-called 'Bluesbreaker' amp) with a Dallas Rangemaster treble booster.

Originals change hands for ?stupid. The crucial parts, chiefly a germanium OC44 or OC71 transistor are *loooong* obsolete.

But, hold hard, stout yeomanry.

I have a dear close friend who just happens to be a highly qualified and respected audio engineer. I went over for a chinwag with him this morning and I discovered that:

a) He has a *limited* supply of NOS Mullard OC44/OC71 transistors and

b) the inclination to build a dead on clone of the Dallas Rangemaster. With a twist...

The new circuit has a much improved signal/noise ratio over the original and I have persuaded him to include a toggle that gives the original treble booster function and the added ability to boost the full audio spectrum.

Well, sod it, dunno about you, but *I'm* having one and this is where it gets interesting.

Starting late December my mate is going to build a strictly limited number of these clones. I have persuaded him to offer them *exclusively* to Guitar Grounds members on a first-come-first-served basis. Once those oh-so-important germanium transistors are gone they're er, well, gone.

To confirm an order, we require a 50% non-refundable deposit up front to cover costs.

The price? A very reasonable ?100 + P&P

They will not be advertised anywhere else. These are going to be the real deal. Offered at a price that is less than other clones and significantly cheaper than a real Rangemaster, if you can even find one.

Priv me if you want to place an order.

Hugs,

Trev

Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes; that way, you're a mile away when you criticise them and you have their shoes :)

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    Re: Exclusive Guitar Grounds Dallas Rangemaster Clone offer
    « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 01:33:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • I will PM you again Trev, but YES PLEASE!!! ;)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

welshman

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 01:45:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • Not my cup of tea , but what a fantastic offer, Hats off to you Trev  ;D

dm-lite

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 02:08:46 PM »
  • Publish
  • Not for me either ... but ... what a great opportunity for those here that would want one.  Nice offer.  :)

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 02:52:57 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'd be interested. Will he ship to the states, and if not I may have to have Rob hold on to it for me until one of my visits. Too bad the won't be done when I come over to see Motorhead at Brixton.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Daniel

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 04:14:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • Interesting for sure. Time to do some thinking...

How would this be compared to something like the Strange Master Mattfeedback mentioned earlier from www.diypedalkits.com (though I don't know what that one costs)?  Or even the Hartman Vintage Germanium Treble boost (which also uses NOS Mullards)?

Bluesbreaker

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 07:06:56 PM »
  • Publish
  • I might be interested. How long will be the waiting list? Your friend is not going to to a Howard and let's us wait for donkey's years, is he?

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 08:01:25 PM »
  • Publish
  • OK, first things first, who is Howard?

This is what has been said officially, "Starting late December my mate is going to build a strictly limited number of these clones. I have persuaded him to offer them *exclusively* to Guitar Grounds members on a first-come-first-served basis. Once those oh-so-important germanium transistors are gone they're er, well, gone".

I rather suspect that there will not be a HUGE take up on this, I am anticipating maybe 8 people maximum, but I may well be wrong.

I cannot give you any further information until it is made available to me.
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

dm-lite

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 08:53:39 PM »
  • Publish

I'm guessing Dumble ... he used to let people wait a while.  That's my guess.

Sounds like a pretty cool offer if someone was really interested in one of those pedals.

Bluesbreaker

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 09:19:15 PM »
  • Publish

I'm guessing Dumble ... he used to let people wait a while.  That's my guess.

Spot on Doveman. I tried to be funny... Probably failed.  :-[ Anyway, I'm definitely on for the pedal. Count me in.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 10:09:56 PM »
  • Publish
  • It only struck me after I'd replied. :o

No, fear not Roger, there won't be any of that sort of thing going on here. I am guessing, but I would think that if we place orders now, we might reasonably expect to see the product by mid to late February? Bear in mind that this is a one off run and that it would be undertaken as an out of hours job, so I would not be too surprised at that sort of time frame? Might well be less of course! ;)

Johnny-English

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 01:44:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • Well Ding ,Dong and put me down for one Trev  ;D

Cant believe I was discussing with Rob just a few weeks back about a pedal to put in front of my Vox AC4 to get a Rory Gallagher tone..
    And now this looks like jobs a good,n for me  ;)

Looking forward to this Trev  ;D
    « Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:00:11 PM by Johnny-English »

Daniel

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 05:47:04 PM »
  • Publish
  • This might be a very silly question, but is this thing going to be a "desktop" unit like the original Rangemaster or will this be in a stompbox format?

Offline tiptonamps

• Cap'n Yam Yam
      • View Profile
      • http://www.tipton-amps.co.uk
    « Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 07:56:07 PM »
  • Publish
  • This might be a very silly question, but is this thing going to be a "desktop" unit like the original Rangemaster or will this be in a stompbox format?

Hi,

Housed in a rugged 'stompbox' :)

HTH,

Trev
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes; that way, you're a mile away when you criticise them and you have their shoes :)

Daniel

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 09:39:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'm still hard in debate with myself over whether or not I should go for this or not. is there a deadline?

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments