October 18, 2017, 06:24:55 AM

Author Topic: Lick Library DVDs  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
Lick Library DVDs
« on: August 05, 2013, 12:46:29 PM »
  • Publish
  • I cannot sing their praises highly enough. If one considers what an average Lesson costs these days and forgive me for being a bit behind the times, let's say ?25 for an hour? So, where else can you get 4 hours (average) of one to one tuition, with Backing Tracks at varying speeds for less? A Lick Library DVD is where!!
    Their Teachers are universally tremendous, my personal favourite being the very nice Mike Casswell. The depth of knowledge is superb and the detail and care taken with everything is seriously impressive.
    I have been working my way through the following and can highly recommend them.

String Bending and Vibrato;
    Tremelo Bar Techniques;
    In The Style of Jeff Beck;
    Jeff Beck Part One;
    Rory Gallagher:

If by any chance you find yourself thinking that you'd not get anything from it, think again!! It is absolutely amazing what you can pick up, believe me!! :thumb: :thumb:
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Hignar

• View Profile
    Re: Lick Library DVDs
    « Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 12:38:22 PM »
  • Publish
  • I like Lick Library.  Use to have a subscription to the website but got frustrated by the fact everything I wanted to access was DVD only.

Without consciously doing so I seem to have picked up a lot of Danny Gill's material.  The ZZ Top lessons are great and I'm starting to go through his modes DVDs.  He's also done some stuff for MI which are of a similar standard - in fact the approach is similar to that of LL.

At times I find myself longing for the tab as it can be a pain trying to rewind to the right point if you didn't quite get a lick but other than that I think they are superb.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 01:12:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • There is some talk about Tab possibly coming along the line with future stuff? Whether this becomes a reality remains to be seen. :thumb:
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Hignar

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 10:44:58 AM »
  • Publish
  • Just taken advantage of their current buy one get one free offer and have picked up

String bending and vibrato
    Playing with feel
    Alternate picking
    Path to fretboard mastery

May have got a little carried away but they all cover areas of major frustration with my playing.  The string bending and vibrato one seems great from the clips on youtube and vibrato in particular has always been an issue with my playing as I spent years using only the side to side rocking motion/classical method which is almost undetectable through an overdriven amp.

I'll happily write some short reviews once I've got into them.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 10:59:37 AM »
  • Publish
  • The String Bending and Vibrato one is a "must have" for any player at any level I reckon. :thumb: I dip in and out of it on a regular basis and thoroughly enjoy everything it has to offer.
    Nice that Mike's composition for this one has actually made it on to his forth coming album too. :thumb:

Johnny-English

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 02:46:54 PM »
  • Publish
  • Well after telling me just how much you have got from your DVD Rob ,  going to pick a couple out so SWMBO can get them for my special day( allowed a no medicated day but must have the back to front jacket on ) ,  thanks for the heads up ??? brilliant  :thumb:

bluemonst

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
  • Publish
  • I do like Danny Gill and the way he puts things across.

Cheers
    bluemonst

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments