October 18, 2017, 06:41:18 AM

Home Recording Studio Equipment

Author Topic: The start of a recording setup.  (Read 1599 times)

Offline fender6ix

• View Profile
    • The Rockstox
The start of a recording setup.
« on: August 08, 2013, 06:57:27 PM »
  • Publish
  • After finding that neither my laptop or my netbook could cope with recording very well, I had a bit of good fortune with regard to a PC.
    As I was working at a clients site I spotted a PC in their metal skip, after a cursory inspection, which confirmed it was a relatively up to date machine, i asked if I could have it. The MD actually jumped in the skip and fished it out for me, no hard drives or RAM, but I really only wanted the processor and motherboard.
    Anyway, bought some suitable RAM, slipped in a couple of hard drives and off we jolly well go.
    I found my USB soundcard interface after digging through the loft for ages (I knew it was up there somewhere). All I need now is a decent desk to set it all up out of everybodys way and to install something like Reaper.

Can't beat a bit of bin diving!  :thumb: ;D
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
    Twitter: @fender6ix @TheRockstox

Offline Hignar

• View Profile
    Re: The start of a recording setup.
    « Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 07:41:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • Nice find. 

My recording setup is fairly modest by today's standards I think.  A 6 year old core2duo, 4gb of ram and about 500gb of storage coupled with a line6 toneport or a behringer mixing desk if I'm micing up.  I think the main reason it works as well as it does is because it's about all I use the windows install for.  If I'm not recording I'll usually be using linux.

Reaper is excellent.  Usually, with such a generous (ie never ending) trial period, I wouldn't feel the need to pay for the software but I made an exception with Reaper.

Offline Fox5150

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 01:25:16 PM »
  • Publish
  • I've used Reaper with my Axe-FX, only really dabbling here and there. I found Reaper a breeze to use, straight out of the box. I also like the way they have a different license pricing structure based on how you're going to use it and yes, I did buy the home license!
    Check out my band Total80s - http://www.total80s.co.uk

R19Fub

The start of a recording s
    « Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 01:57:39 AM »
  • Publish
  • I am interested in learning what i need to record. I see it all over the place so now I am curious as to what I need and how much it would cost to get setup Respectfully.....

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 08:46:40 AM »
  • Publish
  • Well, as long as you have either a PC, Laptop, or Mac, you can install various FREE Recording Software, such as Audacity, or Reaper, if you have a Mac, you already have a very powerful setup that contains garageband, this can be added to at a later date so that you can end up with a full Logic setup which will cope with anything you can throw at it, but that's for later.

Any of the above will get you started, then you will need some form of interface between your guitar and your PC, these can be found easily enough and need not cost you the earth. Many of the programs will allow you to connect to them just using a Mini Jack, so check you PC first and see what inputs it has.

Nowadays, it really is very simple to get the basics and start making music for free.
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Home Recording Studio Equipment