December 16, 2017, 08:47:15 PM

Home Recording Studio Equipment

Author Topic: Made some acoustic recordings on a whim...  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
    • View Profile
    • Daniel's blog
Made some acoustic recordings on a whim...
« on: August 15, 2013, 10:19:31 AM »
  • Publish
  • Last night, more or less on a whim, I had a go at recording me and a twelve string playing, more or less unrehearsed, the folk songs that I collected together when I was first learning guitar. So no clever techniques, no instrumental breaks, just really basic strummed chord songs.

If nothing else I figured such a simple two mic vocal/guitar mix makes it easy for me to practice with my DAWs mastering plugins. Since the sound is so stripped down then then there's nowhere to hide. Changes won't be all that subtle.

However since one of the songs is relatively unusual I also broke out a web cam and recorded video for one of the takes with a view to maybe putting together a vanity video on YouTube...

Two problems with that!

Firstly, my wife is adamant that I can sing better than I did in the take I have, that I am straining too much and that I really ought to take my inhaler before recording myself singing. Since it takes about half an hour to get my recording kit from its various cupboard and set up I'm not overjoyed about redoing the take.

Secondly the video makes me look like an absolute pillock. Its a wide angle web-cam that I stuck to the music stand and the wide angle amplifies every move I make to the point I start to look pretty drunk (not a drop your honour).

Sounds like vanity will have to wait for another day and its all still good practice with the tools.
    I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    Re: Made some acoustic recordings on a whim...
    « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 11:00:25 AM »
  • Publish
  • This made me feel far happier about things Daniel as I too have reservations about doing anything that might require video. My reasons are all embarrassment based and I am the first to admit this.
    I have horrid hands! They are huge,meaty (read Fat) and I have shortish fingers, but my real problem lies with my thumbs! I have very shortened Thumbs, there is a technical medical term for this which escapes me at this moment, wiki is my friend, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clubbed_thumb  on the right of this page you will see 2 photos of children's thumbs, the one on the Left is me to a tee.
    I have always hated my hands, but especially the wretched thumbs, so I would prefer not to show them off to the cyber world.

Also, as I still suffer with a fair degree of Red Button itis, imagine how terrible a time I'd have knowing that a video was running as well? :roll:

Braver man than I certainly, Singing too? I salute your endeavours sah!! :thumb:
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Home Recording Studio Equipment