December 16, 2017, 08:45:37 PM

Home Recording Studio Equipment

Author Topic: AAAH My monitors broke.  (Read 2122 times)

Offline paulmapp8306

• View Profile
AAAH My monitors broke.
« on: August 15, 2013, 10:30:21 PM »
  • Publish
  • Well - this morning anyway.

Turned them on, and I get a horrible loud buzzing from one of them.  Unplugged it, turned the volume right down then plugged it back in.  I got a low volume buz, but still a buz.

Im pretty sure, without looking, either the PSU ir Power Amp has blown up.  It did have a faint wiff of something not right inside - though not overly pungent and no smoke.

Oh well - I have had them since 2005, so not bad I guess though they should last a lot longer really - they are actives though so theres always a risk.  Bit of a bugger as I use them a LOT - not just for recording.  They are my sound source from my Laptop - so all my backing tracks for practice, itunes, youtube etc.  So - time for some new ones I guess (which means Im not going to get the stage monitors or little valve amp which I was trying to choose between).

Anyway - the speakers were Event TR5s - and they were really nice.  Cost me around ?300 I think back in 2005 - but there are monitors that were in the same price bracket then still available (or at least the latest versions of them) for a lot less.

I took all of 5 minutes to place an order though - as I had looked at monitors recently.  I wanted either Genlecs or Focals as an upgrade but couldnt justify the price - I came across another set though with rave reviews.  Actually designed by the designer of the Events before he sold the company 5 or 6 years back.  A little more than I really wanted to pay and Ive not tried them - but I guess they will be a similar sound to my now deceased Events.

So - hopefully I will get a pair of these tomorrow care of Andertons:

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/equator-audio-research-d5-571376

Current gear - PRS CU22, PRS CE22, US Tele, US Select Strat, Tokai ES135 Axe-FX2, Matrix Power amp, Fractal MFC controller, Zilla Cab, Fender Machete Amp.

Offline paulmapp8306

• View Profile
    Re: AAAH My monitors broke.
    « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 01:11:31 PM »
  • Publish
  • quick update. Got the D5s, and as expected they were similar in tonality to my Event tR5s.  They did have more bass, and more clarity in the mids however they seemed a little dis-jointed.  Almost as if the bass was coming from a different source, with a small gap between that and the mids.  Pretty good given the price point though - and would have been a steel at the original price of ?300.

There was an issue though - on of the pair had quite severe bass port chuff at even medium volume levels.  Andertons didnt have any more in stock and wernt expecting any until mid/late Sep.  So - I could return them for refund, exchange them for something else, or send them back with a replacement pair coming once the new stock arrived.

Didnt want to wait as it would mean no speaker for an unspecified time period.  I also felt they were the best value at that price point - so I either had to add a little, or get something slightly less quality for slightly less money.  The Choices?  Adam F50s (slightly cheaper) F70s (slightly more but a 7" driver) or Yam NS5s (again cheaper).

Ultimately I bought none of them - I did research and the Adam A5Xs seemed quite a step up from the F series and the Yams.  I also found them cheaper than Andertons - but they matched the price, which was the same as the F70s.  So a little more money than the D5s were, but actually quite a bit better than the D5s.

All round happy now :)
    « Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:16:05 PM by paulmapp8306 »
    Current gear - PRS CU22, PRS CE22, US Tele, US Select Strat, Tokai ES135 Axe-FX2, Matrix Power amp, Fractal MFC controller, Zilla Cab, Fender Machete Amp.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 01:34:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • Excellent result then Paul. I know I was really shocked back in 2004 when I bought my first set of Genelecs!! But I see that today's price is still pretty much on a par with what I paid back then.
    So worth the money, and built like the biggest brick outhouse you have ever seen. :thumb:
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline paulmapp8306

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 03:20:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • Genelecs are really nice Rob - but really pricey - and the smaller versions (smaller than 5% driver) just wouldnt give enough freq response however good the sound is.  I actually prefered the Focals slightly - mainly because the same price gets you a 6.5" driver which in my eyes is the perfect size.  More bass response than a 5", but not physically as big - nor needing as a large a space as the 8" driver.  Ultimately bother were too pricey for me t present.

Adams have always been "love or hate them".  Partly because of the ribbon driver - but they are VERY unforgiving.  Thats a good thing in fact - however both the Gens and Focals are a touch more "together" I feel.  Given I paid ?500 for the pair though, verses ?1000 a pair of 5" Genelecs would cost, or the ?1150 of the Focal 65s Im more than happy.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 03:23:33 PM »
  • Publish
  • Oooooh I'm not denying they were damn expensive way back then and if they ever fail I could not afford to replace them nowadays Paul, so good to hear that there is an alternative at a rather better price. :thumb:
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline BilliBob

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 09:30:19 AM »
  • Publish
  • I was lucky enough to have heard a set of the 8050a Genelecs with a variety of music.  They are something to behold, truly magnificent.  I couldnt stop smiling.  The downside of this is that now I know what I am missing.  One day...

Home Recording Studio Equipment