Offline John H

• Admin
  • +43/-0
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
'58 style Flying V build
« on: September 17, 2013, 02:29:10 AM »
Hi all. Rob assured me that the crashing has been fixed and asked me to rebuild these threads I had posted regarding the guitars that I have, or am in the process of building. Maybe Daniel, Maurits, and anyone who had a thread going here will find some time to get this section active again. I thought I would go in cronological order, and start with my first build.

The idea perculated while I was laid off (redundant) from work, and was going out of my mind not building or making things. Once a machinist, always... Anyway, move on to a friend of mine asking me to join a now defunct facebook group for home built guitars. He had rented a stall at a cabinet maker's shop, and was looking for a few people that wanted to build guitars. I thought, "Hey! I can make almost anything, why not try a guitar?" It would also keep me from going nuts. First thing I had to do was, decide what to build. So, I started looking at websites for tonewoods.

And looking....

And looking....

Until I decided on some Korina, and thought... Yes a Flying V! I always wanted a '58 style, and Gibson wants your first three born everytime they decide to reissue them.

I ordered some Korina (African Limba) and a fret board made from Brazilian rosewood.

The neck blank had some real nice figuring.

First night at the shop I planed the body thickness down, cut out the wings, and then glued them together.

Then I planed the two pieces for the neck, and glued them together.

On my second visit, I got the neck blank cut out, and the body looking like a Flying V.

I went for the traditional style body joint with the grain running with the wings making a V when it joins.

I'll stop here for now. This is where everyone that had decided on this venture had the realization that they knew nothing of woodworking, using power or hand tools, or how to go about planning such a project. They felt it would be best if they only met when I was available to show them what to do. Trying to get seven musicians on the same page between work, band practice, girl friends, wives, etc was worse than herding cats. About that time, I also got the short notice that we would be moving. I'll start from there tomorrow. I'm in a hotel for most of the week, so I'll try to get this build, and most of the Billy Bo Gretsch done by the weekend, and get going on the current builds next week. From the looks of it, I won't be at home much the next few weeks.

:tease:
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline John H

• Admin
  • +43/-0
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
Re: '58 style Flying V build
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 03:14:44 AM »
OK, so moving along about 2 or 3 months later, and I'm out of our third floor apartment from hell that had most of my tools, motorcyle parts, guitars, amps and other stuff crammed into living space, and into a 1920's Craftsman style Bungalo across town with a full basement and a small one car (motorcycle) garage. The lease also expired at the cabinet shop in that time, and no one got any work done. I set up some benches in my basement along with a drill press, scroll saw, router table, band saw, and other goodies. I invite people over to work on their guitars, but I end up doing it by myself.

This is a borrowed photo, but I copied the jig and milled the neck for a truss rod in the same manner.

A few steps didn't get photographed, however you can see the truss rod installed, and the holly veneer glued on.

Then, I used my drill press in the same manner as a milling machine and cut out the tenon. It was more familiar for me to do it like this.

Here's the finished tenon.

Next, I used a Forstener bit to drill out most of the neck pocket area and control cavity so that it will be easier and safer for a router.

While doing all the work on the neck pocket, I did take consideration early on to be sure that i replicated the  correct '58 style heel.

After the neck pocket was done, I fitted the neck to check the alignment. I had a photo somewhere with a leveling laser shooting down the entire length. It looked pretty good for a first time builder.

The fit was also real good. I could lift the guitar without the body sliding off of the neck.

OK, when I come back, we'll look at the fingerboard.  :speechless-smiley-040:

As for now, I'm going to see if I can remedy the forum of signing me out automatically after 30 minutes, so I don't have to do each post twice again.

:scratch:
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

Offline davidj

• +42/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 07:23:10 AM »
Hi John - loving these pics, thanks for taking the trouble to post them!   :thumb:
I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Johnny-English

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 03:57:16 PM »
Wow John, stunning post backed up with wonderful photos of the V build ,just mocked out by work .

Intake my cap off to you mate  :thumb:

Offline John H

• Admin
  • +43/-0
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 01:16:38 AM »
Thanks guys. And, You're welcome Dave. I don't mind doing it at all. Now that things seem to be remedied, it would be nice to start rebuilding some of what was lost to help build the forum.

Anyway, onto the fingerboard. Like I said, it is a piece of Brazilian rosewood that the broker from the lumber supply house picked t from his personal stash for me. Since I was not equipped to radius, slot, prep it at the time, he did all of that for me.

I started with the inlays. And haste, as they say, amkes waste. I had just returned to work at my old job, and immediately found myself away from home again. I wanted to get something done, and laid out too many dots. Oops! Now, it has a first fret marker.

Once the fingerboard was finished, I laid out everything to see how it looked.

And of course, at this point I was on my way to pressing in frets.

Once I was happy with the fingerboard, I glued it to the neck.

I'll move on to some of the hand work in the next post.

Offline John H

• Admin
  • +43/-0
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 01:34:05 AM »
Hi again. So, after I had glued the fingerboard to the neck, I started to shape the neck. Most of it was done with a rasp because it was all I had at the time. Also used a couple of other minor hand tools. After a couple of days of this, it started to look like a guitar neck.

Then, I was finally able to join the neck and body. Yay!!!!!!! It's starting to look like a guitar.

After the glue had dried, I was able to route the body for pickups.

Then I was able to do more handwork and sanding to the neck.

And, after all that sanding, I needed to clean the wood with naptha of all the sawdust (and get to see what the grain lood like).

Here'swhere it started to truly resemble a guitar. After a bunch of sanding and prep work, it started getting to a stage where I could think about finishing this little bugger.

Offline John H

• Admin
  • +43/-0
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 01:50:10 AM »
Here's a few shots of the body with sanding sealer applied. For this guitar I used a Belden product. Since then, I had switched to using egg whites as a sealer. I still may someday refinish this guitar.

Any how...

Then, I blackened the headstock veneeer. The other reason why I was thinking of refinishing this, I can put one of my nice inlays on the headstock.

Next, came the amber tint and clear coat.

Then there were more applications of lacquer, watching paint dry, applications, watching, etc.  Then, the wait for it to cure enough to wet sand and polish, then the final stages coming soon.

:tease:

Offline davidj

• +42/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 09:28:42 PM »
Egg whites?  Interesting.  What is the benefit John?
I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Offline John H

• Admin
  • +43/-0
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 01:09:01 AM »
Many acoustic and classical guitar builders use egg whites for a pore sealer. If you sand the whites into the finish, while making a slurry, it fills the pores. Everything dries real clear, feels like glass, and is 100% natural with no toxic fumes or residue. I did the Gretsch with egg whites, and the neck has a feeling to die for. The body is still a bit open grained because I was in a bit of a hurry to get lacquer on it before winter. It does involve more time than using chemical based sealers, but I'm not in business doing this so I 'm not measuring my time as such. Not now anyway.

Here's a link to some more information of egg white finishing.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/custom-shop/207264-egg-white-varnish.html

:thumb:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 01:19:18 AM by John H »

Offline John H

• Admin
  • +43/-0
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 02:56:08 AM »
OK, back to this one. After watching paint dry for weeks, many hours of wet sanding, and hours of hand rubbing the lacquer, I was ready for fret leveling and polishing.

Then some assembly. This dye smudge still drives me nuts. Even if it was my first build, it still kills me to see it.

On to more assembly (hey it almost looks like a geetar!)

From here on in, I spent a bunch of time working on fret dressing, making two nuts before I got it right, and getting it set up. When I first plugged it in, it seemed like that moment when you first spank a new born baby's arse to get it's first gasp of air for me. I was truly surprised that not only did it work, it also sounded incredibly good. I was very shocked. I had invested about a year into building this, and was worried every step of the way that I was just making a cool wall hanging. Of course, my wife was making fun of me as I first plugged it in. "What!?! You've been a machinist for 30 years of your life, and you didn't think you could build a guitar" was her comment. Well, the bug hit hard. I have several in the works down stairs. The rest of the pics are all of the finished guitar. Enjoy, and thanks for humouring me.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • +59/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 10:33:36 AM »
I Love that Guitar John, I really do!! :thumb:
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Johnny-English

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 11:04:23 AM »
Wow John, that is just stunning , I have enjoyed every update post of your build along with the photos .

In fact it's so nice that I will use the A word ,cough, cough  Awesome  :thumb: :vim: 

Offline John H

• Admin
  • +43/-0
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 04:56:42 AM »
Thank you very much. It means a lot.

:thumb: