Re: Gretsch Billy-Bo Jupiter Thunderbird build
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 01:21:44 AM »
Wow ... That is gorgeous!  :o

Thanks Ken!

I forgot to add the techy type stuff for those that may be interested:

Schaller nickel plated tuners
Bigsby B-7 Tremolo
Tone Pros roller bridge
Gretsch High Sensitivity Filtertrons. *I couldn't see the need to get T.V. Jones pickups for this. I wanted to try the Gretsch pickups first to see if I liked them. They were about $150.00 lower in price. I'm glad I stuck with my hunch. They are really wonderful pickups. Clear as a bell, and real raunchy when cranked.*
RS Guitarworks 500K linear taper tone pots and 500K Super Pots  for the volume pots along with .022 μF paper in oil capacitors
Unbleached Bone nut

The wood selections were:
Honduran Mahogany for the neck and body
Eastern Quilted Maple for the top
Palisander rosewood for the fingerboard.

All in all, it was a very fun project even though I often found myself in way over my head, and had to think things through on more than one occasion. I learned a lot, and had a great time building it.

This thing is very comfortable to play standing and sitting. It is extremely well balanced when standing. Since it has been chambered, it is not as heavy as it looks. The pickups are extremely well balance when toggling back and forth. The trem works beautifully with the tone pros bridge. It stays in tune real well. You would swear it is alive when you strike a chord because it just resonates, and has all sorts of great vibrations. And, it sounds killer with any amp, and everyone that has seen it in the flesh, or has played it has been knocked out.

I love this guitar, and am absolutely thrilled with the way it came out. Especially now, having had some time to bond with it.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • +59/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 10:21:23 AM »
Sounds absolutely terrific too Guys. ;)
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Johnny-English

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 12:58:26 PM »
John, it's been fantastic seeing your guitar build grow post by post, till we see it born into a absolutely stunning guitar .
You could never buy a guitar like that ever! , because part of you is in that build and that is what makes it so special  :)

John, I would love just to hear a few chords out of it , so if you ever get time just e-mail a small mp3 take  8)