December 12, 2017, 10:06:37 AM

Author Topic: Building another amp  (Read 12089 times)

Offline Knackereddad

• View Profile
Re: Building another amp
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 07:59:15 PM »
  • Publish
  • I took a look at the Allen amps website....I like the look of their wares...a lot :whistling:

I wish we had such a supplier in the U.K, whilst there's now quite a few outfits who will sell you chassis and components, you generally have to source the complete set from a few different suppliers so shipping charges add up.

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 02:21:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • That looks like it will be a ton of fun. I was looking at their amps back when Ron was pushing me to try one of the Mission 5E3 kits. One of these days..................

I have far too mamy projects now. (And never see my place of residence)

Anyway, have fun. I'm sure you put the same amount of attention to detail as with the Brown Note.

:thumb:
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 03:45:09 AM »
  • Publish
  • And it begins ...

Will be smelling some solder soon  :thumb:

Offline davidj

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 06:46:41 AM »
  • Publish
  • Early days - but if I listen carefully, I can actually hear your great playing coming off the picture! :thumb:
    I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 03:38:07 AM »
  • Publish
  • Populated the board this evening - but no solder.  Going to double check everything tomorrow morning.  After I add the "flying leads", I'll solder the whole board up.  Also soldered a few components on the pots.  I'll take a picture of the board when it's soldered.

:)

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 05:33:56 PM »
  • Publish
  • Board is assembled ...

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 05:57:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • Nice! I like that little spring clip tool. It looks very useful.
     :thumb:
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: October 06, 2013, 01:43:00 AM »
  • Publish
  • Easy ... don't start assuming things ...

Basically about 75% done ... board built, tube sockets wired, pots wired, star ground installed (that was tough).  Also ... output transformer, reverb, choke ... all done.  Just need to deal with the power transformer, power and standby swtiches, speaker connections, bias connections.  Getting pretty close.

;D

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 12:03:37 AM »
  • Publish
  • Done ... did a final check ... tubes glowed ... biased for 6V6s ... fired her up with guitar and speaker connected.  It doesn.t have reverb yet as it comes with the combo cabinet when it's built.  Should be a few weeks.  Sounded good and very quiet.  Good parts, good instructions = good kit.  I did save from extra OT leads (Green/Yellow/Black) ... wire tied and tucked away under the speaker jacks.  I may hook up a switch for speaker impedance since the OT has 6V6 and 6L6 leads.

Got to work tomorrow but I'll give it some playing time this week and see how she does.  Good project.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 03:47:16 AM by Ken D »

Offline Knackereddad

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 07:44:43 AM »
  • Publish
  • That looks really nice Ken....your construction speed puts me to shame  :-[

So what's the deal with the combo cab, do Allen Amos build them to order? Or was it your custom design that meant that they can't ship straight away?

Interested in the Ouput Transformer, which manufacturer is it because I'd like to have something that allows you to use 6V6 as well as 6L6? I know that Brown Note did one for their Blue Monkey ( Dumble Bluesmaster) but I haven't  seen them more generally available.

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 12:37:07 PM »
  • Publish
  • This was a much simpler build than my first build.  Started Friday night ... A good bit of Saturday and most of Sunday. Went pretty smooth.

The cab orders are placed with the order and shipped separately with speaker and reverb unit installed. Takes about 5 weeks.  Not really a problem for me.  The other 3 amps con cover my huge gigging schedule (I wish). 

He has Heybour(sp?) replacements for power and output transformers, reverb transformers and chokes.  All basically Fender types.  You can read about them and order separately. For instance, I could have put a Super Reverb PT and OT in mine for a $25 upgrade.  Pretty cool stuff.  All the parts were top drawer in fact.

http://allenamps.com/parts.php#transformers

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 11:11:53 AM »
  • Publish
  • Another quality build Ken, looking forward to hearing this one fired up. :thumb:
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: October 09, 2013, 01:56:23 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks Rob.  It sounds pretty good but it was a little harsh when I turned it up, especially with 6L6s.  Allen uses all 12AX7s.  So I was doing a little "tube rolling" experiment to see the differences.

Ok ... So here's where it gets funny.  I'm going to tell on myself.  During the tube rolling, I had a really hard time getting the 12AX7s out ... they were tight.  Now, I notice this static hum.  The amp has been dead quiet.  I figure I've wiggled something loose in the process.  So I get a chop stick and proceed to tap every solder joint, wire, etc.  I just can"t find the problem.  I tell my wife at dinner of my predicament.  I'm going up there and find it!

I meekly tell her I found the problem about 2 minutes later.  My work laptop is sitting on the input lead between my small pedalboard and the amp.  Sounds like static from space.  Move it ... dead quiet.  Duh!  After my first build 5 years ago, I was on a witch hunt that turned out to be my mobile phone.  I learn slowly.

:rolleyes:

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 08:42:03 AM »
  • Publish
  • Really?? 5 Years ago? The Brown Note??  Glory be! Where has the time gone!! :redface:
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: October 09, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »
  • Publish
  • Really?? 5 Years ago? The Brown Note??  Glory be! Where has the time gone!! :redface:

Yes - as a matter of fact, I found my fingers fatter and the need for a magnifying glass had increased.  It had been a while!  Time is now officially flying by.

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments