December 12, 2017, 10:07:04 AM

Author Topic: Building another amp  (Read 12089 times)

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
Re: Building another amp
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »
  • Publish
  • Well a good build I think.  I did find one error yesterday.  There are two star grounds - one for preamp - one for power amp.  I had placed one of the power amp grounds in the preamp.  I sampled some of the voltages and sent them to David - it appears to be built correctly.  David says with 6L6s it is really close to the voltages on a Vibrolux Reverb and it is pretty close to the SF schematic voltages.  Cabinet, reverb tank and speaker will be here in a few weeks.

Thoughts:
      * It sounded pretty good at low volumes but I thought it was a bit cold/ harsh - like it was biased cold.  I spent a good part of the weekend playing with it and I'm starting to feel comfortable.  It appears that it is safe to bias a bit higher with 6L6s than the recommendation.  Playing with the controls I found a lot of interaction - the sounds are in there.
      * I tried some Tung-sol 5881s and really like the looser feel.  I think these really match the amp well and can easily handle the 420v.  I will play with these for a while.
      * For me the 6L6s were much better at slightly higher bias.  After playing with the controls, a much improved sound - very blackface.  I may end up there in the end.  Sort of a Vibrolux in a light 1x12 grab and go.
      * I think either 5581 or 6L6GC fits me better than the 6V6.
      * A 12AT7 in PI slot sounds better to me.  I may put one in reverb slot once the cab arrives.
      * The raw control is not something I think I will use or maybe it takes a while to figure out.  If used, I wouldn't think you could go over 2 or 3.
      * the master volume is very nice.  Really done well and effective.

A few things I still want to try:
      * ordered some 2a rectifiers - 5V4 and 5R4 as options to the 5Ar4/GZ34 - for a bit more sag.  
      * Switching OT impedance - while I wired this up a bit cleaner with the 8 ohm tap, I still left myself some OT lead for possible future switching between 4 & 8 ohm taps.
      * Looking forward to the Eminence RWB that comes with the cab - different flavor.
      * There are a few mods recommended to take it more toward Fender specs but I will play it a while in it's final form before trying them.

I'll post some clips after I spend some more time with the amp as I don't think I've figured it out yet.

:)
    « Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:29:27 PM by Ken D »

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: October 20, 2013, 01:51:45 PM »
  • Publish
  • Update:

Ordered a set of Winged -C- 6L6s and that helped a lot. I have also been playing with the amp for a week. The treble and middle settings need to be run a little lower than I am used to. It makes the harshness go away. I was able to put the 12ax7 back in the PI slit and it sounded good too. I ordered another JJ 5751 and I'm trying it in the PI, as well. It may be better than the others. I'm not even going to try the 5R4 and 5V4 rectifiers that I ordered. The Winged C adjustment and getting a feel for the tone controls made a big difference.

Also, I was able to install the OT impedance tap switch after all.

So, pretty happy in the end. I'll keep playing it until the cab shows up. Maybe make some YouTube clips a bit later.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #32 on: October 21, 2013, 12:08:08 PM »
  • Publish
  • Cabinet must be due soon then Ken? ;)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: October 21, 2013, 12:44:37 PM »
  • Publish
  • A few weeks left to wait on the cab, but I knew that going in.

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: October 25, 2013, 01:47:54 AM »
  • Publish
  • So, I have the amp chassis flipped upside down on a cutting board.  It's on too of a speaker cab supported by two books picked based on size.  I noticed they were both about Clapton.  Coincidence?  I don't think so.

LOL

Waiting for the cab to arrive ...

:-[

Offline ourmaninthenorth

• View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: October 25, 2013, 09:44:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • Marvelous Ken. I envy your skills  ;)

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 12:21:51 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks.  The amp is coming to me - feeling better. I'm waiting 3 more weeks for the combo cab that includes an Eminence RWB speaker.  But I really wanted to try an Alnico since I've never owned one.  I figure it will fit with either the tweed or this new amp.

A WGS G12A alnico speaker showed up today.  I put it in the tweed 1x12 open back cabinet.  Sounds good.  It's brighter than the Scumback M75 and Celestion G1265 - which I expected.  Very Fender-ish.  Like any new speaker, it's a little stiff but it sounds pretty good clean or with OD with the master volume low.  When cranked up to 10 on the master volume, you can feel that stiffness more - but again expected.  I did like the way it broke up though.  I think it will be really good.

Now I've never tried to break in a speaker other than just playing it.  It might be something worth doing and I'm thinking about it a bit.  But maybe I'll just crank the volume up when I can.  Still won't have combo cab for another three weeks anyway.
    « Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:12:16 AM by Ken D »

Offline vic108

• Pop culture destroys everything it touches
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: November 03, 2013, 02:41:28 AM »
  • Publish

• very VERY nice work there Ken!
    Guitars will get you through times of no money better
    than money will get you through times of no guitars

Johnny-English

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2013, 09:20:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • It's been so nice seeing and reading you Amp build Ken , and boy is it looking good.  :D

Then to top it all must be playing your own hand built amp  :cool: can't get much better than that.

Talk about job satisfaction  ;)

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: November 03, 2013, 09:47:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks guys.  I'm a tweaker.  I've built two amps now and modified two others.  Every guitar I've got has been modded too.  All of them to the good I would say.  I do feel that I'd probably be better off practicing, but I enjoy it.

Update on the amp:  I really liked the WGS G12A alnico speaker.  David and I talked today about the cab - probably be here in a couple of weeks.  Since I won't be using the RWB speaker, he agreed to load my cab with a WGS G12C.  Nice guy!  It's the same exact speaker as the alnico with the exception of the ceramic magnet.  I'm going to load it into my tweed's 1x12.  No difference in cost to Allen Amps and I'll have a use for this speaker.

It is satisfying playing through an amp you built.  Even from a kit, it's a pretty major task.  I did enjoy the process too.  Can hardly wait for the cab though.

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
      • View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #40 on: November 04, 2013, 01:04:17 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks guys.  I'm a tweaker.  I've built two amps now and modified two others.  Every guitar I've got has been modded too.  All of them to the good I would say.  I do feel that I'd probably be better off practicing, but I enjoy it.

Certainly know what you mean there.

I've realized that I bought that Squier to fiddle with more than to play. I wanted to play about with blocked off trems and piezo pickups and ever more unusual wirings. I'm rather grateful that I came my senses before putting too much time into it.

Don't reckon *that* problem occurs with a hand built tube amp. Already very sensible I would say...
    I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: November 15, 2013, 06:45:08 PM »
  • Publish
  • Combo cab is shipping today! Should be here Tuesday.  ;D

It's coming with a WGS G12C ceramic and I recently acquired a G12A alnico that I have mounted in a tweed 1X12 extension cab.  One of these will end up with this combo - one will end up with the tweed.

A little over 7 weeks - long wait.   ::)

Johnny-English

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2013, 11:04:45 AM »
  • Publish
  • Looking forward to your feedback on how your build sounds when it's  in its new home (cab)

As ever Ken , it has been a pleasure seeng the stages and update story of your build  :)

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: November 20, 2013, 01:53:40 AM »
  • Publish
  • Came today - snapped a quick picture with my iPad.  Very satisfied.  Basically, it's a Vibrolux with one channel and no tremolo in a Deluxe Reverb size with 6L6s.  It's 35 watts in 35 pounds. It's a nice Deluxe Reverb with 6V6s.  Raw control gradually takes out the tone stack.

;D

Johnny-English

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2013, 06:37:31 PM »
  • Publish
  • That's a lovely looking amp Ken ,  can only imagine the tone wafting out of that  :).
    And at that weight ,it's an easy pick up and go amp , so win ,win  ;)

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments