October 23, 2017, 03:43:32 AM

Author Topic: Building another amp  (Read 11672 times)

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
Re: Building another amp
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2013, 10:57:31 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks ... I actually weighed it out of curiosity ... It's actually a bruiser at 37.5 lbs.  It does sound pretty good.  The one thing I've noticed though.  Although these amps all have a bit different feel and sound (blackface, tweed, dumble-ish, EF86 DrZ), you guessed it ... I sound pretty much the same. 

I think actually the single coil, P90, humbucker variation makes a more significant difference in the way I sound.  But even then ... still sound pretty much like me.

But it's fun ... experimenting, building, modding ... if I was playing more I'd probably not need the project.

;D

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #46 on: November 23, 2013, 06:46:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • That looks like a real scorcher, Ken. I've been entranced to try one of their kits. Allen looks like a really well structured supplier, and a pleasure to do business with (by your posts here). I also like the Mission 5E3 kits that are out there. One of these days I'll have to try an amp. May have to shoot Java and email, and see if he'll give me a build list for a JTM 45.
     :eek:
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: November 27, 2013, 06:11:01 PM »
  • Publish
  • Ok ... project is done.  Off on vacation this week and spent some time "tube rolling" and "speaker rolling" too. 

I tried an assortment of 6V6, 6L6 and 5881 tubes.  The Winged C 6L6s are my favorite tubes and turns our they like this amp too.  The advantage with these tubes is ...
    • With the 6L6 or the 5881 I can run either one speaker or two and change from 8 ohm to 4 ohm easily
    • The amp has the iron and wattage of a Vibrolux ... even though it looks like a much smaller amp
    • Sounded very nice ... but packs a punch
    • Very nice master volume can be dialed off from club Vibrolux to bedroom levels and anything in between

Ended up rolling through every speaker I had including an EVM12L reissue and Eminence 10516 2x10 cab (neither of those pictured) with all of these guys.  I liked them all but the G1265.

But the intent was to choose between the WGS G12C (ceramic) and G12A (alnico).  So I loaded these both into my 2x12 cabinet that allow for easy selections and combinations ... putting both speakers in the same cab.  I like them both but felt the ceramic held the bass a bit tighter which I felt would be more important in the really small combo cab.

So the final version of the amp ... from the backside.  You can see the impedance selector on the back to choose one or two speakers.  I dropped the alnico version in my tweed 1x12 cabinet ... can easily hook them both up at 4 ohms in parallel.  A bonus is that it sounds really good with the Richter tweed.  A little louder and has more treble ... should gig well.

From the front ... it has the same wattage as the Brown Note and the Tweed that both sport two 6L6s at 33w.  It's not quite as loud as the Dr Z (but what is) with those KT66s.  But with just the one speaker cranked up ... it's pretty impressive.  But when turned down ... very clean and quiet blackface.  Speaker cabs not quite as deep sounding but the "grab & go" was the intent here ... basically a Vibrolux 1x12 grab and go without tremolo with a really nice master volume ... 35 watts in 38 pounds.

But I still sound the same ...  :rolleyes:

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: December 07, 2013, 11:24:41 PM »
  • Publish
  • For those interested ... a quick video ... low volume at the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOqWhUi9BO8

:)

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #49 on: December 08, 2013, 08:23:36 AM »
  • Publish
  • I have to tell you that this is possibly exactly the sound that has been in my head for the last few years Ken. I really like how the clarity shines through, but has just enough hair to fill things up. The combination of the  Timmy and RC really works like a dream here.

Hate to say it, but to my tastes, this has beaten the Tweed into a cocked hat! ;)

Great playing as always Sir, really enjoyed it and once again felt myself wishing that I had a player such as yourself nearer to where I live. :)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #50 on: December 08, 2013, 11:48:51 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks for the nice comments.  I'm liking the amp more and more but still like the tweed the best.  There is more clarity in this blackface as you mentioned.  The always on RC into Timmy makes all three amps that use pedals shine.  Thanks for the RC recommendation several years ago, it has never left the lineup.  I do have a "Marshall flavored" Dirty Little Secret II on the board as a beefier OD option.

After the high of working on the project, I think I have far too much gear for a guy who hasn't played out in years.  Job changes next year will lead to more travel assuring no change in the band situation.  But it is quite nice to pick an amp and guitar and have them all sound good dialed in low in my "man cave".  It is my only vice.  But I think I would have trouble buying or building more gear.  I may actually be done with that ... time will tell.

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #51 on: December 08, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »
  • Publish
  • Sounds good Ken. I've always wanted a Vibro-Lux style amp, and end up looking over Allen's website. I first found them when The Major (Ron W.) was trying to push me to start a Mission Amps 5E3 kit, and started looking over other kit options. Nice to see one closer to home being built. But, I'm in the same boat as you as far as travel for work is concerned. It usually takes me at least a year to build a guitar with my limited free time. I've got three that are in the middle of being built, and six more in early stages of being started. I don't how where I'd find the time to squeeze an amp in also.

Enjoy having the options. I have six "Go To" amps that each have their own character. Even though I always sound like me, it's fun being able to jump around.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline Knackereddad

• View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: December 09, 2013, 07:21:51 AM »
  • Publish
  • That's a mighty fine sounding amp you've got there Ken.

Which speaker was that? The Alnico?

I take it that the video was just guitar straight in and no "dirt" up front?

You've also managed to confirm that next years build for me is going to be a Telecaster....I've already got a "hot rod" version but I think something a bit more traditional is required in the stable.

Very nice playing by the way.

I'd be interested to hear some dirtier samples as well, intrigued about the RC / Timmy combination I already have a Timmy but never owned any Xotic stuff.

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: December 09, 2013, 12:11:03 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks, I went with the ceramic WGS G12C, but the alnico sounded pretty good too.  I put the G12A alnico in the tweed extension cab.  A bit of "always on" dirt with the RC/Timmy but I'm running a 5751 instead of the 12AX7.  I do the same thing with the tweed.  Same setup in front of the EF86 in the Route 66.

I'm not a heavy dirt kind of player but I have a Dirty Little Secret II.  But I only use it occasionally.  This goes back to the way I've always played.  For the first 35 years, I never owned a pedal.  Most of that time I used an original Mesa Boogie amp.  So ... an extra tube in front of the preamp.  Everything was done on the guitar knobs.  Much the same now with the always on RC/Timmy replacing the additional preamp tube.

The humbuckers can seem a bit dirtier ... quicker.  Maybe I can demo one of those next weekend?

Offline Knackereddad

• View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: December 09, 2013, 12:23:20 PM »
  • Publish
  • Cheers Ken

So do you have RC before Timmy?

Where do you set EQ on both pedals as Timmy has "cut only" and RC has Boost and Cut?

Marc

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: December 09, 2013, 07:36:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • Cheers Ken

So do you have RC before Timmy?

Where do you set EQ on both pedals as Timmy has "cut only" and RC has Boost and Cut?

Marc

It would look a lot like this.  Probably drop the gain to 11:00 on the Timmy vs. the photo.  At low volumes, I use the down setting on the Timmy toggle.  Best starting point with both cuts is roughly where the gain is set.  Tricky at first but it makes a difference and is not intuitive.  At higher volumes, I might move to up or center on the toggle switch and the volume would be raised. 

The RC is almost always add ... Both tones to taste at 1 or 2 o'clock.  Volume at 9:00 and gain at maybe 10:00.  But there are minor adjustments - the ones you might expect for different guitars.  Less bass on humbuckers for example.  But this is where I'd almost always start. The volume is set a little high in the photo.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 09:48:26 PM by Ken D »

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: May 05, 2015, 02:24:28 AM »
  • Publish
  • Update: this has become my favorite amp although I love them alll ... Allen on the right.  I did struggle with the speakers.  Finally, ended up buying the RWB that Allen recommends.  It's pretty good by itself ... But paired with the WGS G12A in the bottom (extension cab) it's perfect.  Also good with the G12C but it' a bit too efficient ... the alnico is about 3db less efficient and adds just the right amount of what's nice about these WGS speakers.  All WGS pairing or individual is just too harsh.  The "rounder" RWB takes the edge off.

I still like the old EVM12L in the tweed. Actually, it sounds good with the Allen but can't fit in the combo.  So the WGS G12C is in a box for now.
    « Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 02:26:40 AM by Ken D »

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments