Aloha gents! Sorry I've been a bit vacant lately, but when real life gets in my way it usually takes me far from home. I have finally got around to doing a few things lately. First a couple of teaser shots that I forgot to add when I started this thread.
First is the Robo-Sander, and prepping the body for a router.
And now, two nice bodies...
That brings us to today...
A little over a week ago, I was finally able to get the missus to help with the table saw, and catch my fingerboard jigs as I pushed them through. It's really too small of a saw to be doing what I need to do, and having our paths cross at home lately has been a rare luxury. Here, the fingerboards are side by side after being cut to size.
*Sorry that I didn't post how I cut the width, but I like to focus on what I'm doing with that particular tool.*
After cutting the width, I laid out the pattern for the inlays. Then I spotted them with a small end mill, then rough cut the shape with a Dremel rotary tool. Here, the inlays are sitting on the board before routing.
Here's a view of a rough cut pocket with one of the diamond inlays.
Here's where things took a turn for the worse.
I went to the eye doctor in August. Had the full spectrum of tests, and found that my nearsighted prescription still remains pretty much the same as it had since I was about 16 years old. No problem with things close up. However, I could not focus on the pockets with my exacto-knife to trim the edges to fit the inlay in the pocket. I went to buy a pair of "cheater", and they would not help. I could still not focus. I figure that due to the amount I've been on the road, sitting in front of a computer screen, or general lack of sleep has put extra stress on my vision.
So, aside from trying to get to bed earlier, and spending less time around computers, I bought a really nice lighted magnifier with an articulating arm. I played with it some today, and can't wait to start moving forward.
Hopefully, I'll have good stuff to report with as the week moves along....