October 21, 2017, 05:53:23 AM

Author Topic: Building a couple of SGs  (Read 17655 times)

Offline John H

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
Building a couple of SGs
« on: September 23, 2013, 03:22:41 AM »
  • Publish
  • Or pizza flippers, if you will. I was going to build one of these for myself, or work on an Explorer or Wilshire for myself as my next project. However, I was asked to make an SG. Then I was asked to make a second.  Life has gotten in the way of moving things along, but I hope to get some more work done next weekend. Everything I've done beyond the old thread has been on paper (drawings and template design, etc.), so things are a bit stagnant at this time. Here's what I have so far.

First things, first. I had to mill down two pieces of African Mahogany from 2" down to 1.625". It took a while on my ghetto rig, but it di work. Both bodies were parallel to .0005" when I was done.

Then I worked on a body template. I found one online to use for reference, but had to alter it quite a bit to actually match any of my SGs.

Then the bodies were cut out.

Before I cut out the bodies, I did some finish sanding on the template with my new toy. I love this sander. It is very versatile, and worth every penny that I spent.

Next up, were the neck blanks. I was able to cut two out a gorgeous piece of quarter sawn Sapele (African Mahogany).

After the blanks were cut, I set the fingerboards in my milling fixture that I build for cutting radii. It's in the Billy Bo thread if you want to see it. After the radii were cut, I sanded the fingerboards until they were very smooth, then cut the fret slots.

The next step will be to get my wife to help me feed the jig to cut the finger boards to size in the table saw. I like to have a bit of a safety net when using that saw. It's a bit precarious. Once that's done, I can add the inlays, frets, then binding.

Speaking of inlays. I had these made by a gentleman in Canada. These two lucky guys will have the first guitars that I built with my name inlaid in mother of pearl in the headstock. I'm jealous.

If I actually did have the time to work on one of these for myself at the same time, it would have been a "Baby Snakes" SG Standard similar to Zappa's. When I was in Honolulu last February, I asked for a few scraps of Koa while visiting the Kamaka Ukulele factory. They gave me these. Can't wait to play with them.

Enjoy!

:thumb:
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Johnny-English

Re: Building a couple of SGs
    « Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 11:09:14 AM »
  • Publish
  • I think it's time to register the Hess logo and start the Hess Guitar comp  :thumb:

Offline davidj

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 01:01:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • Love it!  Keep 'em coming :thumb:
    I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 04:54:59 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks guys.

:thumb:
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 01:56:31 AM »
  • Publish
  • Aloha gents! Sorry I've been a bit vacant lately, but when real life gets in my way it usually takes me far from home. I have finally got around to doing a few things lately. First a couple of teaser shots that I forgot to add when I started this thread.

First is the Robo-Sander, and prepping the body for a router.

And now, two nice bodies...

That brings us to today...

A little over a week ago, I was finally able to get the missus to help with the table saw, and catch my fingerboard jigs as I pushed them through. It's really too small of a saw to be doing what I need to do, and having our paths cross at home lately has been a rare luxury. Here, the fingerboards are side by side after  being cut to size.

*Sorry that I didn't post how I cut the width, but I like to focus on what I'm doing with that particular tool.*

After cutting the width, I laid out the pattern for the inlays. Then I spotted them with a small end mill, then rough cut the shape with a Dremel rotary tool. Here, the inlays are sitting on the board before routing.

Here's a view of a rough cut pocket with one of the diamond inlays.

Here's where things took a turn for the worse.

I went to the eye doctor in August. Had the full spectrum of tests, and found that my nearsighted prescription still remains pretty much the same as it had since I was about 16 years old. No problem with things close up. However, I could not focus on the pockets with my exacto-knife to trim the edges to fit the inlay in the pocket. I went to buy a pair of "cheater", and they would not help. I could still not focus. I figure that due to the amount I've been on the road, sitting in front of a computer screen, or general lack of sleep has put extra stress on my vision.

So, aside from trying to get to bed earlier, and spending less time around computers, I bought a really nice lighted magnifier with an articulating arm. I played with it some today, and can't wait to start moving forward.

Close up....

Hopefully, I'll have good stuff to report with as the week moves along....

Cheers
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 01:58:10 AM by John H »

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
      • View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 09:45:58 AM »
  • Publish
  • I'm told, by colleagues who man the solder stations, that the more you magnify the steadier your hands get...

Just a well really.
    I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 10:01:12 AM »
  • Publish
  • I really want one of those, in fact, I should have said, I really "need" one of those. :)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Johnny-English

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 12:41:57 PM »
  • Publish
  • Just love seeing your builds John, if I had the chance I would order one of your builds in a shot ....
    Yep it sounds good the Hess Guitar bespoke builder, the two guys you are building for are going to get something very special  :)

Offline davidj

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 12:43:17 PM »
  • Publish
  • Sweetness indeed - great looking inlays!
    I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Offline Vision Guitars

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • Vision Guitars
    « Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 12:50:44 PM »
  • Publish
  • I really want one of those, in fact, I should have said, I really "need" one of those. :)

Only one?? i'd love to try one of these, great looking build!!

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 12:55:47 PM »
  • Publish
  • I was talking about the Magnifier Light thingy Mark  ;D ;D
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 04:55:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • I was talking about the Magnifier Light thingy Mark  ;D ;D

C'mon Rob. You know you want to play one. They're going to get P-90s installed in them.

>:D

Johnny-English

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
  • Publish
  • P90s      Bloody hell G.A.S

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 03:40:57 AM »
  • Publish
  • Why didn't I go with dots???  :confused:

Anyway, slowly but surely, step by step, inch by inch, I'm starting to make some progress.

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
      • View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
  • Publish
  • For some reason, until seeing your photo there, it had somehow never occurred to me quite how much easier inlaying dots should be compared to weird and wonderful shapes...

Good luck.
    I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments