Thanks. I had initially scribed the shape of the inlay in the correct location. Then I used a brad point drill that was much smaller in diameter than the inlay to drill a starter hole in the fingerboard. It was set to the depth that I wanted. Then, I used a .032" diameter routing bit in my Dremel rotary tool to freehand rout to a rough undersized shape. Then I went at it with a hobby blade in an Exacto knife.
I'll be filling the slots in the inlays, and the small random gaps with palisander saw dust. I save as much as possible, whenever possible. Then I'll drip in some CA glue (Superglue). It will be hard enough, and a close color match to sand when dried. I may need to do a few applications.