Offline John H

• Admin
  • +43/-0
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
Re: Building a couple of SGs
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 04:04:25 AM »
Guess what? I managed to get some work done on these. Really. Went back and forth with making some single action truss rods, or using two way rods. I wasn't happy with the first set I bought from one source, then wasn't really happy with the second source either. I went with the ones that looked like they had the best penetration in the welds. They needed a bit of sprucing up before I could use them, but everything is fine and dandy now.

First, I laid out where I wanted the rods in the neck, and drilled a few pilot holes for where I would start the router. I wanted solid ends to capture the rod securely, and give better accuracy when being used for it's intended purpose.

Then, I set up my router table with a piece of maple that was marked for beginning and end points, along with the neck having similar marks.

Then, I drilled some holes into the rod pocket to feed the end out of. I had done the T-Bird neck at the same time, but since it has a shallower neck angle and a huge headstock area, I was unable to do anything other than start the hole. I need a longer drill bit before I can do anything else.

Truss rods are installed, and awaiting me to run out to grab a piece of maple to cut some filler strips out of. I'll do that first thing in the morning. If I can get the filler strips and the peg head wings glued in Sunday, I can trim and sand them when I get home from work on Friday, and glue the holly veneers and fingerboards on next weekend. Once I'm at that point, progress should increase quite a bit.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:20:05 AM by John H »
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • +59/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 10:30:43 AM »
Fantastic stuff John and as you say, now, time permitting, you should really see things coming together.
Unfortunately though, time is always precious and tight. ;)
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline davidj

• +42/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2014, 11:22:17 AM »
Wow - that's good stuff at the business-end of those axes John.  If I were building an axe (not happening...) I'd waste time on things that don't affect playing quality, like colour or the control knobs.  This is where the soul of the instrument lives!
I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Johnny-English

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2014, 08:49:29 PM »
As ever John,  your builds and especially your updates are superb . Love seeing and reading every progress  :)

Offline John H

• Admin
  • +43/-0
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 01:51:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I di make the fillets today. The problem is, I could not find the epoxy that I bought for this a couple of months ago. I did manage to make the wings for the headstock and glue them on. Progress is slow, but sure. If I get enough time at home next weekend, I should be getting a reasonable amount of work done that actually looks like something.

Cheers.

I'll pull the clamps off in the morning so they don't put any unnecessary weight on the neck during the week.
 ;D
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

Offline John H

• Admin
  • +43/-0
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2014, 07:40:11 PM »
The truss rod fillets are glued in, and the holly veneers have been glued on to the headstocks. Once the glue is dry, I'll plan my next attack. Probably, knock the fillet down flush, finish sand the veneer and rough out the headstock shape, and then glue the fingerboard on.

Offline Maurits

• +31/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2014, 07:49:23 PM »
Looking good John, and if you don't mind I'll be looking extra carefully at the order of things when it comes to making the necks. I'm planning how to tackle the neck on mine too.

Keep up the inspiring work.
Sans musique la vie serait une erreur.

Johnny-English

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2014, 09:31:55 PM »
Thanks for the update John ,and as Maurits  said "looking good ".     :)

Offline John H

• Admin
  • +43/-0
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2014, 12:05:34 AM »
Here's another quick update, since I have got as far as I can today. I cleaned up the truss rod fillets. I also traced my headstock pattern and cleanup some of the excess lumber. Since the T-Bird neck is occupying my drill press table with a veneer clamped on, I can't modify my routing pattern for the headstock. I'm going to take all three necks to work tomorrow. The customer who's shop I'm working at has a seldom used milling machine that I hope to make use of. I want to make sure that I trim the holly square to the neck so that the nut will seat properly. I'll give another update in a few days. In the meantime, these are how both necks look for now. Cheers.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • +59/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2014, 10:16:07 AM »
Really coming together now John, you have been busy, assisted by Boris no doubt! ;) ;D
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline John H

• Admin
  • +43/-0
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2014, 01:15:53 AM »
So, whilst Boris was napping, I snuck into the basement and got quite a bit of work done today. During the week, I made a jig to attach the fingerboard surface of the neck to, and route the taper and heel are of the neck. This also extends into the radiused are of the neck before the headstock proper. After that was done, I made a template of the headstock, attached it, and routed out most of the shape. Sorry I din't take any photos of this, I really wanted to move along with this.

After that was all done, I used my Dremel tool, and routed out the area for the headstock logo. This is what it looked like before it was epoxied in.

Then, I mixed some two part epoxy and black dye. Then I glued the logos in.

The first one to set about twenty minutes was the neck for the Special, so I glued the fingerboard onto the neck. I'll check it later tonight. If I can remove the clamps, I'll glue the fingerboard for the Junior onto it's neck. Otherwise I'll do it first thing in the morning.

If the "honey-do" list isn't too long for tomorrow, I'll start shaping the neck for the Special. If not, I'll be working close to home for part of the week. Hopefully, that means I can work on guitars after work.

Cheers.

;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 07:03:25 AM by John H »

Offline davidj

• +42/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2014, 10:55:51 AM »
The logo is a really snug fit in there, hope the list isn't too long - I want to see more!
I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • +59/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2014, 11:06:14 AM »
I really love that Logo John. Understated enough to ooze cred! :D

Johnny-English

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2014, 05:56:01 PM »
Now that logo just looks sooooooooooo right  :)

Offline Knackereddad

• +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2014, 07:20:24 PM »
Coming on very nicely John. As others have said - that's a cool looking logo :)