Guess what? I managed to get some work done on these. Really. Went back and forth with making some single action truss rods, or using two way rods. I wasn't happy with the first set I bought from one source, then wasn't really happy with the second source either. I went with the ones that looked like they had the best penetration in the welds. They needed a bit of sprucing up before I could use them, but everything is fine and dandy now.
First, I laid out where I wanted the rods in the neck, and drilled a few pilot holes for where I would start the router. I wanted solid ends to capture the rod securely, and give better accuracy when being used for it's intended purpose.
Then, I set up my router table with a piece of maple that was marked for beginning and end points, along with the neck having similar marks.
Then, I drilled some holes into the rod pocket to feed the end out of. I had done the T-Bird neck at the same time, but since it has a shallower neck angle and a huge headstock area, I was unable to do anything other than start the hole. I need a longer drill bit before I can do anything else.
Truss rods are installed, and awaiting me to run out to grab a piece of maple to cut some filler strips out of. I'll do that first thing in the morning. If I can get the filler strips and the peg head wings glued in Sunday, I can trim and sand them when I get home from work on Friday, and glue the holly veneers and fingerboards on next weekend. Once I'm at that point, progress should increase quite a bit.