OK, this one seems to be going on forever. I've been working on this one for a couple of years. When I started I was very excited to start. A friend had loaned me his '66 Non reverse T-Bird to make drawings from. I have pretty much everything to complete this except time.
Right now, any available time I have is for the SGs. If I get some time to make a fingerboard jig for the table saw, I may have my wife help me cut this up at the same time as the SG blanks.
This is what I have so far. I used my ghetto mill jig to take down the thickness. I used some Khaya (African Mahogany) for the body. It is one of three body blanks I bought at the same time as the two I got for the SGs that I'm building.
After the body was milled, the shape was cut out.
Once that was done, I started working on the neck. It is made from two pieces of Honduran Mahogany. The original necks were one piece, but I had found this really nice two piece blank, and thought it would be more durable.
Here are the two blanks prepped, and waiting for the next step.
Unfortunately, when cutting out the headstock, the band saw blade jumped from it's guides. I had to create a scarf joint. this took a lot of work to complete. It is now repaired, and waiting for me to move on to the next step.
I did manage to find a set of 70's reissue Thunderbird pickups. They are the ceramic type, but should still sound pretty good. Hopefully I have more to add to this soon.