Offline Knackereddad

• +26/-0
    • View Profile
Advice Sought on New Control Panel Fabrication
« on: September 23, 2013, 08:01:02 PM »
Stirred into action by Johns fantastic builds :thumb:

I've been wanting to resurrect my old SG 100 for some time now. It needs a re-fret amongst other things but I'd like to smarten it up just a little prior to doing this.

This was my 1st proper guitar, I bought it 2nd hand in 1980 for ?110.

It was made by Gibson around 1970 as a budget guitar for Students. It's made from Mahogany and is shaped a bit like an SG Standard but it has a very chunky body and was designed to only have a single pickup in the neck (single coil at that but not a P90).

Of course I really wanted it to look like an SG Standard so within a year of buying it, I bought 2 DiMarzios and took a chisel to the bodywork to fit them rather badly.

The original spec only had a single Volume and Tone control so that had to change as well :whistling: So I hacked great big chunks out to fit the pickups and controls and then modified an SG Pickguard to "fit" and cut an aluminium panel to cover the control cavity.

The scratch plate is pretty bad, but the aluminium control panel was really very crude and it is this that I wish to replace with something a little neater.

So, I've found an anodised aluminium panel and I want to shape and cut it. To make things very difficult, I then want to cut a rebate into the body such that the new panel sits flush with the bodywork.

My question is, how do I go about designing a shape and cutting it and then creating a template that I can use to route the rebate?

I cut the previous plain aluminium panel with a hacksaw and a filed the edges smooth. But I'm thinking that this time I'll probably pay someone to cut it for me to make it neat.

I've found a place in Kent that does "laser cutting" - not sure if that's the best option - I'm wondering whether the heat generated would tarnish the anodised surface? In addition to that I've no idea how I'd go about providing a design as I guess that they can't simply cut around the outline of a simple drawing?

Any ideas on how I might go about doing this?

Here's some pics.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:12:08 PM by Knackereddad »

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • +59/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
Re: Advice Sought on New Control Panel Fabrication
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 09:40:57 PM »
So nice to see this Old War Horse again Marc. I'm sure John will have all sorts of answers for you.... Stay Tuned. :thumb: :thumb:
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline davidj

• +42/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 10:05:07 PM »
It might be worth talking to these people. http://www.simscustom.com/html/00pickguards.htm

Great axe!  Here's my 73 SG11
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:10:34 PM by davidj »
I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Offline Knackereddad

• +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 10:17:18 PM »
That's nice David, mine used to have a pick guard just like that. The original control panel was different, it was more like a telecaster shape made out of stainless steel or something similar. The pickup had a surround made of the same material....don't have either left now...not that they'd fit anymore.

Here's a Walnut version of same guitar in original condition.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:25:00 PM by Knackereddad »

Offline John H

• Admin
  • +43/-0
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 04:51:20 AM »
Oh wow. Dave's picture is the best reply. However... The best idvise I could give is to start with a pice of masonite, or something stiif, then play with the shape until you find something you like, and can mount the pots and input jack to. Once yu've wourked out a couple of plans that seem to work, get a piece of pickguard material and start cutting to shape.

Hope this helps.

:thumb:
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline Knackereddad

• +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 10:09:37 AM »
Thanks John, I'll give that a go. I've got some flexible "french curves" lying around somewhere, I'll use them to mark out the curvy bits on some plexiglass or similar.

Offline davidj

• +42/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 11:49:09 AM »
It might be worth talking to these people. http://www.simscustom.com/html/00pickguards.htm

Not sure if the suggestion helps but the link got lost by the picture of my SG - sorry.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • +59/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »
SIMS do beautiful work chaps. Well worth investigating. :thumb:
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Johnny-English

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 03:59:19 PM »
Thanks for the heads upon that link David , very nice gear  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Knackereddad

• +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 07:02:59 PM »
I missed that link too David. I'll look them up....I've seen their ads at the back of Guitarist mag, never went further than that.

Offline Knackereddad

• +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 07:24:24 PM »
If I go down the DIY route I was thinking of using Perspex to work with to create the template

http://www.theplasticpeople.co.uk/cut-to-size-clear-as-glass-acrylic-perspex-p-204.html

However, I've never worked with Perspex before....is it easy or are there more "forgiving" materials to cut, shape and smooth. Was thinking of going for 5 mm thick which would make a nice router template.

Offline davidj

• +42/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 07:57:37 PM »
Good luck with this project and keep the updates coming! :thumb: