January 23, 2018, 02:06:28 AM

Author Topic: Knackereddad's Strat Build  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Knackereddad

• View Profile
Knackereddad's Strat Build
« on: November 10, 2013, 04:56:05 PM »
  • Publish
  • This is an unashamed "guitar assembly" project - I only have crude woodworking skills so I'm not going to pretend that I'm competing with Johns superb Luthery!

The guitar is modelled on Matt Schofields SVL 62. The neck and body were sourced from the same place USA Custom Guitars, although I know that Simon Law who builds Matts guitars takes the components in an unfinished state and applies his own fretboard / headstock shaping (USA CG are not Fender Licensed and so have to use a non standard headstock shape else be in breach of Fender Trademark)

The neck is Quatersawn Flamed Maple with Indian Rosewood fretboard, 9.5 - 12 inch compound radius and Dunlop 6100 frets. The neck is modelled on Stevie Ray Vaughns and has a chunky offset profile (the C section is not symmetrical about the centre line).

I've used a Callaham Vintage 6 point bridge and Gotoh Kluson style machine heads.

I originally fitted David Allen Voodoo Blues pickups but recently swapped these out for Fatboy MC 68's which are very nice. I originally only went to Fatboy in order to get some control knobs which had Dark Green Script because most of the knobs that are supplied through usual channels have Gold Script which didn't look right to me. I had an exchange of emails with Mark at Fatboy which ended up with me buying a compete new Scratch Plate loaded with his pickups and controls...suckered into it! I originally wired up the pickups with a super switch that allows the Tone cap to be removed from positions 2 and 4. The new Scratch Plate is wired differently as it as a Blender pot in place of the usual second tone control. This allows the neck and bridge pickups to be brought into circuit together to give Telecaster type tones as well as varying the amount of "quack" when in positions 2 and 4. I have to say that I like the results very much although I still think that I'm going to rewire once again with the Super Switch in order to drop out tone cap in position 2 and 4 as I really like this effect. This will combine with the Blender pot to retain the additional pickup combinations.

Neck and body as supplied by USA Custom Guitars. The neck has a Vintage Satin tint with gloss finish on Headstock.

The machine head bushes were attached by using a nut / bolt and washer to "squeeze" them into location. I discovered this method by googling how to do it because I was struggling to workout how to get them into location "square' without damaging the finish. This method worked like a dream.

Straight edge used to line up the machine heads.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 08:25:38 PM by Knackereddad »

Offline davidj

• View Profile
    Re: Knackereddad's Strat Build
    « Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 06:24:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • In my pipe dreams I will build a beauty like this.  In reality I won't!  Top work sir.
    I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Johnny-English

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »
  • Publish
  • Every thing about your guitar is just so right .  You should be very proud in putting that stunning guitar together . Love it  :)

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 09:13:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • That looks great. I really love the color. The contrast of the pick guard and knobs against the blue makes everything stand out. And yes, I agree. The knobs look far superior with the dark printing as opposed to the gold.

;D

That's how I got started, first a Tele, then a Strat, then mixing and matching stuff, then a Flying V, then......

The bug will hit, I'm sure. Cheers.

:cool:
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline vic108

• Pop culture destroys everything it touches
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 05:51:27 AM »
  • Publish
  • Very nice!!
    Guitars will get you through times of no money better
    than money will get you through times of no guitars

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
      • View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 10:44:54 AM »
  • Publish
  • 'tis indeed.

I'm not by any stretch a Strat fan but that one still speaks to me.
    I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 04:52:39 PM »
  • Publish
  • Nice! Like the color too.

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments