December 12, 2017, 03:49:55 PM

Author Topic: Old Orange/Matamp 120 Head  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
Old Orange/Matamp 120 Head
« on: November 25, 2013, 11:01:18 AM »
  • Publish
  • One of the great many things that I came to love about these Beasts was that in reality, one didn't have many problems with getting a great sound out of it. Whether using Humbuckers, P90s or Single Coils, you really only had to ever look at 2 of the controls, "Boost" and believe it or not, The Presence control.
    Back in the day, when God was still in short trousers, I had 2 of these buggers. I also had a Marshall 4X12 and a Fender Dual Showman 2X15 Cab running from these heads and the sound was absolutely EPIC!!

So Volume would be set to wherever I could get away with  ;D, Bass Was around 12 o'clock, Mids at 1 o'clock and Treble at about 11 o'clock. If using Humbuckers or P90s the Presence would be at about 4 o'clock and that would be dropped to about 2 o'clock if Single Coils were being used.
    You might well look at that and think "Boy that's High!" Well on Orange Amps from The Matamp era and from the Matamps I have subsequently owned, the Presence control only really makes itself known once you wind it right up and it just adds a glorious singing quality to the sound once the amp is really cooking.

The Boost Control was a rare gem for the time, allowing you to fine tune where the Grunt came in. With Buckers or a P90 I had mine at 111 and if I ever used a Strat it would be at V.

Now for the real secret about these heads. If you are going to use a Pedal to push things, save yourself months of faffing about trying every boost known to man.......... Just get a Fuzz Face!! Roll OFF the Drive or Fuzz and use the pedal to boost the amp's output. For some weird reason these heads HATED anything like a Tube Screamer, all they want is a decent germanium Fuzz et Voila!!
    « Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 11:57:24 AM by Rob S »
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Johnny-English

Re: Old Orange/Matamp 120 Head
    « Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 04:16:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • Would of loved to hear that with P90s singing and growling away Rob .

bet that would get theTrousers flapping on full chat  ;D

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments