December 15, 2017, 09:44:08 PM

Bass Guitars

Author Topic: I must be out of my mind, or NBD is the title of this  (Read 3098 times)

Offline John H

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
I must be out of my mind, or NBD is the title of this
« on: November 26, 2013, 03:49:11 AM »
  • Publish
  • Over here, we have some big online and mail order music supply houses. One of them, Musician's Friend recently posted "end of the year Gibson Blowout" prices. As I was scrolling through, I noticed that a reverse body Gibson Thunderbird was only $825.00. Normally a $2000.00 bass. Since Musician's Friend also owns Guitar Center, I hunted for a location that had one in stock. There was one location between where I'm working and where I live.

So, I drive down there yesterday (one hour each way), and their website is so overloaded that they can not access it to verify the price I gave them. It was hanging on the wall with a $1500.00 price tag at that time. They take my phone number, and promise to call me today. In the meantime, late Sunday night I am able to read the fine print regarding the sale. "Prices are in effect each day until 1:00pm leading to this Friday."

OK, I get online before I leave for work, and order one with the option to pick it up at the store. I got confirmation today, and made the 1+ hour trek from my hotel. The action is a bit high and it could use an adjustment, but otherwise it's pretty sweet! I've been playing it all night, and it sustains incredibly. The new guitar smell is amazing. I've wanted a Thunderbird for years, and at this price I couldn't resist. I could easily flip it for a profit, but I doubt I would. Maybe, tomorrow night I'll be home, and can plug it in.

Here:s some obligatory eye candy:

That's it for new toys for me. I have far more important things I need to be doing with money lately. I'm defitely going to have to sneak this one in.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    Re: I must be out of my mind, or NBD is the title of this
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 09:58:30 AM »
  • Publish
  • Well Done You!!  :D :D :D

The Thunderbird Roar and Snarl has always meant something very special to me, just ask Martin Turner  ;)
    The Through Neck works just as well on the T Bird as it does on the Firebird doesn't it, sustain for weeks at a time. ;D

Be very careful John, the Brand New Smell gets right into you and then you are lost...... ;) ;)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline LennyEdwards

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 09:21:10 AM »
  • Publish
  • Great basses. Well done, Sir.
    Three is the magic number. Yes it is. It's the magic number!

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 04:00:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks guys. After playing it a few times, I found that I love how the volume and tone knobs work. It's actually very smart not having to use a toggle switch to go between the pickups. I'll have to get the bass head repaired soon so I can have some real fun with it. Just using my 100 watt Marshall Super Lead is enough to shake the house a bit, I can't wait to try it with a bass specific amplifier.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

Johnny-English

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 09:12:16 AM »
  • Publish
  • Just clicked on and took a look at your new Bass ,Wow John you have snatched a stunning bass ,and at that price it was a no brainier to snatch that one   ;D

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 02:52:05 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks Johnny. I've only played it a few times, but I do really like it. After the holidays, I need to get my bass amp repaired when I get the two Fender amps re-valved and re-biased.

:cool:

Offline Yamaha Dave

• Regional Manager for Yamaha Music UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 09:23:33 AM »
  • Publish
  • Sweet.  I've often been tempted by one of these, at that price I would have done exactly the same.  Result.

Offline GypsyJazzStudent

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 12:13:00 PM »
  • Publish
  • wow.. this is amazing
    Gypsy Jazz Student offers free lessons and Fast Improvisation Tools to give you the "building blocks" so that you can use them to build your own great music. http://gypsyjazzstudent.com/

Bass Guitars