December 12, 2017, 10:18:35 AM

TokaiL Electric Guitars

Author Topic: Epiphone  (Read 7342 times)

Offline Yanto

• View Profile
Epiphone
« on: December 19, 2013, 06:21:18 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi everyone
    Been playing acoustic for 30 years but thinking if getting an electric and amp. Been looking at either a Les Paul copy or SG copy. Epiphone seems the obvious choice as they are linked to Gibson. Are they a good buy for a newbie to electric guitars? What are people's opinions of these two models? And what would be a good practice amp to use in conjunction. Don't want to spend more than ?300 in total. Many thanks in advance for any advice and info given
    Cheers
    Ian

Johnny-English

Re: Epiphone
    « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 06:45:49 PM »
  • Publish
  • First of all, welcome to the guitar grounds forum Ian , we have  a good mix of electric and acoustic guitar players .

Regarding your post , does it have to be Epiphone because  Vintage make some wonderful guitars ,that in my opinion out shine Epiphone . The do both the Les Paul and SG guitar type .
    Check out the icon series ,you are spoilt for choice with those plus you are right in the ball park money wise .

Mark of Vision Guitars may pop his head in , fantastic guy and guitarist ,he may just be able to put a package together that would be just right .

Worth having a chat with him so he knows just the right guitar for you needs  ;D

Cheers
    Johnny

Offline travisthedog

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 07:25:04 PM »
  • Publish
  • I have played some stunning epiphone guitars - my main gigger for years was a black Les Paul custom epi, rob has a fab explorer as well as the famed "oxblood"

But I have played some truly dire ones (but the same could be leveled at fenders I've played)

I would look for the earlier Korean ones

Also look at Chinese made Burnys as well as Vintage which are astonishing value

Amp wise if look for a sessionette on eBay. The most valve like solid state amps money can buy and you can occasionly get one for under 100 quid !!!

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 11:07:59 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi Ian, sorry for being fashionably late to make you welcome, but real life got in the way of virtual life for a bit. :D

Some good suggestions coming in already I see. I haven't got too much to add to that which has already been said, except a couple of things to consider? As an acoustic player for a good many years, I suspect that the majority of the time you might well play whilst seated? Both the Les Paul and SG Shapes lend themselves to this fairly well, but to be instantly comfortable and to have a guitar that you are not going to have to wrestle with, I think I might suggest that you look at something that is more Strat Shaped? For health reasons, I now do all of my playing whilst sitting down, I can tell you straight away that I found a Les Paul shape far harder work than anything from the Fender style of guitar as whilst it does balance reasonably well, nothing seems to balance the way that the Strat style body does.

Now you may find the reverse is true for you, these things happen ;D but I would urge you to at least have a look at something such as a Yamaha Pacifica. These represent about the best value for money that there is. Their quality far out strips their price, I know many a player of "our" vintage who will gig a Pacifica very happily, knowing it is a real workhorse of a guitar and is as tough as old boots.

I do agree that you can do no harm at all in having a chat with Mark (Head Honcho here and owner of Vision Guitars), he is a very experienced player and has a fabulous selection of instruments at his shop, he runs a fantastic mail order scheme and gets items out really quickly and very well packaged and, as if that isn't enough, all members of the forum qualify for his supa doopa discount.
    His shop is in Castleford, but if distance is an issue, ring him, or PM him from here and he will give you all the advice you need and will do his best to sort you out with exactly the right guitar for YOU, unlike many other places who shift what THEY want to shift instead of listening to YOU the Customer.

If any of us can help in any way at all.... just shout. :D
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Fox5150

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 02:08:09 AM »
  • Publish
  • Welcome to the forum!

I am of the opinion that, when it comes to the US vs rest of world debate, that every area of manufacture produces some real gems, I just feel that you're more likely to get a higher level of consistency with the US products. However, that being said (and everyone knows I'm a snob for such things, so take a pinch of salt with it!) there are not only some truly remarkable instruments out there, but they are being much more commonplace and, more importantly, affordable.

My first proper guitar was an Epiphone Les Paul that I regret selling still to this day. It was a brilliant instrument, a few little things that needed tweaking, but an excellent instrument nonetheless.

Best thing to do is to take yourself off to a music store and try lots of different things out.set yourself a budget and also settle on using one amplifier so you know you're comparing apples with apples. Just watch the amps as that's an ever deepening hole!

Good luck in the chase, it's almost as good as the actual playing!
    Check out my band Total80s - http://www.total80s.co.uk

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 08:46:37 PM »
  • Publish

• Best thing to do is to take yourself off to a music store and try lots of different things out.set yourself a budget and also settle on using one amplifier so you know you're comparing apples with apples. Just watch the amps as that's an ever deepening hole!

Good luck in the chase, it's almost as good as the actual playing!

Welcome to the forum. This is the best bit of advice, and what you should do. Don't buy anything mail order. Just spend some time with a bunch of guitars, and find one that speaks to you. That way you'll have something that feels comfortable and natural to play, and pleases you from the start.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
      • View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 10:40:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hello!

I'm extremely late but I can certainly throw in the info that the Vintage VS-6 is a great sounding little guitar. These are especially good value second hand precisely because they don't say Epiphone on them.

Another worthy trick if you are a long term acoustic player is to get the guitar strung up with fairly heavy gauge strings (maybe 11s) to stop things feeling too wobbly.
    I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Offline Yanto

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 08:54:44 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hey all. Sorry for not replying earlier. Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions.
    Firstly, I would never buy without trying, so totally agree re going out and trying various brands/models. I intend doing this in the next few days.
    I can definitely understand that a strat style would be more balanced to play while seated, which is how I play. But I have to say that I am more attracted to the style of either a Les Paul or SG guitar.
    I have however recently seen the ES-339 by Epiphone, and have to say that it's a gorgeous looking guitar that I will also try out. Anyone here got any experience of the es-339 please?
    Again many thanks for the replies and info so far. Its very appreciated
    Happy New Year!
    Ian

Offline davidj

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 09:34:15 AM »
  • Publish
  • I have played an Epi 339 and was impressed with it, I can't comment on the value for money - I don't know what my friend paid for his.  However it looked great in the flesh and felt good to play. 

As for amps - I will put in a word for the Roland Cube, my son has a little micro cube which I regularly borrow and I recently got hold of a cube 60 off eBay for ?69.  The range of good-quality sounds are fantastic - I have used the bigger one at a gig instead of lugging a heavier valve combo and it cut the mustard beautifully.

Welcome and happy hunting!  There is some great gear available at modest prices.  The Epi g400 SG might be worth checking out?
    « Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:16:40 AM by davidj »
    I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 09:54:17 AM »
  • Publish
  • I recently spoke to a friend who has just got the Epi 339 and knowing how picky he is about quality and detail, I can report that he is delighted with it and of course, size wise, it isn't huge.

Definitely reinforce what David is saying about bargains being out there, certainly now!! ;)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Yanto

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 10:18:33 AM »
  • Publish
  • David - thanks. The ES-339 can be bought at the moment for under ?300, which seems excellent value.
    Rob - think size wise it falls between a Les Paul and the 335? Not looking for anything big
    Ian

Offline Yanto

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 10:30:52 AM »
  • Publish
  • David - sorry, forgot to say,the G400 is on my list to try. Thanks again

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 10:34:33 AM »
  • Publish
  • Yes Ian, you're quite correct, it is only fractionally larger than an LP for example. VERY Nice indeed. :D

Offline Yanto

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 10:14:24 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hey everyone. Sorry for no update. Working abroad but home again now. Hoping to get out and try some electrics on Monday.
    I guess it would help if I was to say what style I was going to use the new guitar for. As previously stated ive been an acoustic player for quite some years, playing mainly country rock/rock stuff. I've also learned fingerstyle a la James Taylor etc. I'm thinking I will play mostly rock stuff with the new guitar. Not lead. Just chords. Want to learn some AC/DC, Creed, Shinedown, Disturbed etc. power chords I suppose. I will also still play seated. Will that affect the style of guitar?
    I've been looking at Les Paul, SG or maybe even. Telecaster.
    Any suggestions gratefully received again
    Ian

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 10:31:20 PM »
  • Publish
  • Everything mentioned there will do the job Ian, but I would suggest at least trying something Strat Shaped as well, if possible, do try a Yamaha Pacifica. They are absolutely incredible value for money and eminently suitable for modifying as time goes on.
    You would definitely benefit from a Humbucking Pickup in the Bridge position given the musical genres you describe, so again the Pacifica would certainly be a great contender.

Best thing to do would be try out as many guitars as you can and see what "feels' right to you. ;) ;)
    Good luck and above all else..... enjoy yourself. :)

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments