October 23, 2017, 03:45:22 AM

Author Topic: Delay or Reverb into a Vintage Amp?  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Vision Guitars

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Vision Guitars
Delay or Reverb into a Vintage Amp?
« on: January 25, 2014, 10:33:48 AM »
  • Publish
  • So you may have seen in the other thread that i have one of these Andertons JTM1 1 watt Marshall amps on order.

So im wondering, i like to use reverb when playing at home and this is an old school style high / low input head without reverb and without an effects loop.

Got me wondering how people got around this in the olden days? If i connect a delay or reverb pedal in to the front of the amp i can imagine its going to sound awful? reverb before drive sounds shit, right?

Apart from having an effects loop added to the amp (which im not going to do to a ltd edition amp) is there a way around this, or a good reverb / echo unit that will work well into the front of a driven amp?

Offline Knackereddad

• View Profile
    Re: Delay or Reverb into a Vintage Amp?
    « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 11:11:45 AM »
  • Publish
  • A good analogue style delay like the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay works well in front of an overdriven amp. If you hunt around you can even find cheap self build kits although the genuine article is fairly reasonably priced.

I'm not sure that Reverb was ever used with this sort of amp, you tend not to hear reverb very well when playing live (rock style playing that is). My guess is that any reverb would have been added in the PA mix for live stuff.

Offline Vision Guitars

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • Vision Guitars
    « Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 11:50:47 AM »
  • Publish
  • Yeah i was just thinking the same. .  Im going to try a Way Huge Aquapuss i think. . .Just cos i like the name  ;D

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 12:20:15 PM »
  • Publish
  • Back in the old days, we relied upon the room or the hall to produce natural reverb, the tricky thing was that invariably, when you did a sound check, the room/hall was empty, so if you were using any form of delay, or as it was known then "Echo" , which was "usually" provided by either a Klemt Echolette, or the more commonly seen "Watkins Copicat", that would be sitting behind your amp and cabs and there would be a "Roadie" stationed there to adjust things once the venue had filled. This is actually why you rarely saw a band doing anything too complicated during the first number, as this was the time that the band/ the soundman and the roadies were getting the feel of the venue. The advent of the digital delays made life far easier as you were able to make adjustments on the fly and not relying on a third party to get you near enough.

Personally, I have always preferred the sound of our old Tape Echoes, much warmer and organic to my ears. The best of the best was of course The Roland Space Echo, which allowed you to do some pretty insane things!!
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Ken D

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 12:26:05 PM »
  • Publish
  • I have 4 amps and only one has reverb.  One has the cascading preamp and a loop, so it sounds worse with reverb/delay in front due to the cascading preamp stages.  However, the rest of the amps ... Including the one with reverb sound fine at home with a touch of reverb/delay at the end of the pedal chain.  I use the EQD dispatch master which is a simple reverb/delay combo pedal.  Mind you just a little goes a long way. 

All of the amps either have a master volume or VVR (scaling) so easy to get overdrive at room volumes.  If playing live, I don't use reverb because you generally get a "bounce" from the room.  To me, reverb adds "mush" live.  Now if it's a dead room, you might get away with a single short delay without trashing the OD, but it can't be much.  If you need to use major helpings of reverb/delay live, you are screwed without a loop.  Just add in the PA.

Offline Knackereddad

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 01:16:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • Did someone say Watkins Copicat?

I'm fixing this one for a friend .

@Mark, I'm not familiar with the aquapuss (great name), but I can say that one of the reasons why the Deep Blue Delays works so well is because it has an analogue path for the dry signal which you can mix in / out as desired. Many delay units digitise everything which can screw things up unless the A to D converters are top notch...ie expensive. I think that the Catalunbread Montavillian is another good delay to place in front of overdrive.

http://www.peachguitars.com/fx-pedals/catalinbread-montavillian-echo-pedal.htm?gclid=CJjroeW1mbwCFcuWtAod-nQAUA
    « Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:24:39 PM by Knackereddad »

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 03:20:21 PM »
  • Publish
  • I like the looks of that Watkins Copy Cat. I love those old Roland Space Echoes. Didn't they just release them as a stomp box a couple of years ago?

How about a Fender Reverb Tank, like the Surf guys used to use in the 60's. I know they re-released them a few years back. Maybe one could be found at a reasonable price???
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline Ryan_Goddard

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 06:52:47 PM »
  • Publish
  • Iv been doing a bit of reading up on reverbs my self, and watching some YouTube clips. The one that stood out was the Boss 63 Reverb, sounded alright into the front of an already driven amp...so id guess youd get away with it, but might have to play around with a few first?!
    Sir Reginald C. Bastard Esq. MBe, OBe, CBe, DVD, MFI, HMV

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments