January 22, 2018, 12:08:48 PM

Author Topic: New build (mahogany, semi hollow)  (Read 10192 times)

Johnny-English

Re: New build (mahogany, semi hollow)
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2014, 10:44:05 AM »
  • Publish
  • Another day , another must have a look  :D that is going to be a "wish I had one " for me  :)

Offline Maurits

• View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks so much guys, still need to iron out some kinks in these builds before I'd consider selling them though  :)

Some more work done, not the most exciting bit but an important one, the control plate. Made from ebony to tie in with the fretboard.

But here's the clever bit, I glued a thin piece of mahogany to it so it won't be as noticeable looking through the F-hole. One of those things no-one will ever notice, but I'll know, and that makes me happy for some reason  ;D
    Sans musique la vie serait une erreur.

Offline Maurits

• View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: May 13, 2014, 12:49:01 PM »
  • Publish
  • Now I've kinda started the waiting game, silly me forgot to order imperial drill bits when I got all the parts, so I'm waiting for the drills to arrive from the UK. At least the neck joint is tight enough that I can put the guitar on the wall and look at it while I wait  :p

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 01:26:55 PM »
  • Publish
  • It is the incredible attention to detail, such as the Control Plate facing that fascinates me Maurits. I'd love to hear this at some point, I suspect you have a real winner there. :) ;) :)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
      • View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #34 on: May 13, 2014, 01:31:18 PM »
  • Publish
  • One of those things no-one will ever notice, but I'll know, and that makes me happy for some reason  ;D

I makes me happy too and I'm not even in the same country as the guitar in question.
    I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Johnny-English

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2014, 02:17:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • Its just not  fair , I can?t even put Lego together  :p ? But the that makes me appreciate the skills and craftwork that goes into a build like this    :D :D   fantastic  :D
    « Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 04:24:57 PM by Johnny-English »

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #36 on: May 18, 2014, 04:37:21 AM »
  • Publish

• But here's the clever bit, I glued a thin piece of mahogany to it so it won't be as noticeable looking through the F-hole. One of those things no-one will ever notice, but I'll know, and that makes me happy for some reason  ;D

Looking good! I love the idea of the thin piece of mahogany to hide the cover when view from the front. Real smart addition.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline Maurits

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: May 25, 2014, 09:30:11 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks guys, I figured if I'm going through the trouble of building a guitar I might as well do it right eh?  ;)

Some more work has been done. Got some imperial drill bits in the mail and drilled the holes for the bridge, tailpiece and tuners. After that was it was time to tackle the pickup routes. 

And with some bits and pieces in place  ;D

Offline Maurits

• View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: May 25, 2014, 09:42:14 AM »
  • Publish
  • And then there's the neck of course, drilled and installed the side dots yesterday, decided not to put on/in dots on the front of the board, give it a nice and clean look, plus I didn't want to put anything on that lovely piece of ebony.
    Drilled

Installed

After leveling those this morning I put in some frets. I had been putting this off a bit, so while spirits were high I dove in. Wasn't too bad, all went quite smoothly. Not a bad way to spend a sunday morning I reckon, put on some nice tunes and hammer away.

With the tools of the trade

Frets were overbent, ends were tapped in, then the rest of the fret was whacked until it was seated properly.

All in

There was some tiny gaps between the fret ends and the board so these are filled with good ol' CA glue.

Now I just need to wait till that dries and I'll do the other side. Slowly but surely the end is approaching, and believe me when I say I'm getting giddy as a schoolgirl  ;D

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #39 on: May 25, 2014, 09:55:38 AM »
  • Publish
  • I have to admit, usually, I am not a fan of fretboards with no markers, BUT, in this instance I can only agree with what you are saying Maurits. I think it can only add to the superb vibe of the whole guitar. You do realise that this is going to have to become the first in your range? I can see quite a few people wanting to snatch your hand off at the opportunity to own and play something as beautiful as this one.

Coff Coff, my name is at the TOP of the list.... OK?  ;D ;D ;D
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Maurits

• View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: May 25, 2014, 09:59:41 AM »
  • Publish
  • Haha, thanks Rob, means a lot. We'll see where it goes eh?  :)
    Let's wait and see how this one feels and sounds first. Maybe it's just going to turn out to be a nice looking piece of junk  :eek:

Johnny-English

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2014, 10:02:13 AM »
  • Publish
  • That ebony fretboard is stunning now , and will be the finishing jewel to your build .
    Glad you decided to leave the dot markers off ..

Thank you for uploading your build update , it's  really is starting to look a special guitar .

If I had a hat I would take it off to you . :)

Johnny-English

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2014, 10:04:18 AM »
  • Publish
  • You can put me on the list with Rob .  :D

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
      • View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #43 on: June 03, 2014, 11:56:32 AM »
  • Publish
  • There's something about that guitar that is very photo friendly! It looks terrific, especially dressed up with the hardware on the top.

Yay!
    I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Offline Maurits

• View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: June 04, 2014, 09:24:38 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks so much for the kind words guys.

I have it all sanded now, ready for finish, I bet that wood will come alive with some finish applied to it, It's a great moment when that first coat goes on and the wood really gives a glimpse at its beauty. Wood is just such an amazing material, and if it's guitar shaped? Even better  ;D

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments