October 23, 2017, 03:44:17 AM

Author Topic: Fuzz options - Devi or Pickle?  (Read 1149 times)

Offline meektiger_dl

• View Profile
Fuzz options - Devi or Pickle?
« on: July 21, 2014, 10:48:28 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi all,

New to the forum, so please be gentle!!

Having encountered some problems with my Big Muff Pi over the weekend, I'm considering retiring the old warhorse after 12 years of gigging, practising, recording and other general mayhem.

Any advice as to which fuzz pedal to use for it's replacement would be appreciated. At the moment I'm slightly torn between a Way Huge Swollen Pickle and a Devi Ever Godzilla.

I've lusted after Devi's pedals for years, and this might be the point at which I finally reach my holy grail, but having checked out the Swollen Pickle (thanks to viewing John Gibbons of my favourite band Bardo Pond's board), I'm really impressed with that, too.

Has anyone ever used either of these pedals? Or maybe suggest an alternative?

Thanks,

Daniel.

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    Re: Fuzz options - Devi or Pickle?
    « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 02:57:13 AM »
  • Publish
  • I honestly don't know much about them. I've heard a lot of buzz about the swollen pickle. Why not get the Big Muff repaired, or replaced?

I was always a Distortion+ kinda guy, and have really been happy with my Fulltone OctaFuzz as of late. I usually keep it on the fuzz setting instead of the Octavia. It's a great 60's sounding fuzz.

Sorry I can't be much more help. Keep us in the loop, as it's always nice to hear about differing views regarding pedals.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline meektiger_dl

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 09:54:37 AM »
  • Publish
  • The Bug Muff is fixed, that's not really a problem. Just felt that since I've had it for over 12 years, and it's starting to become temperamental, it might be time to think about retiring it.

Having said that, I might stack it with the new fuzz as well! That will require a bit of clean up in the post-signal though, so I'm looking at a straight overdrive. Incidentally, there is a Fulltone Full-Drive 3 that I'm curious about. Would you recommend Fulltone overdrive? All I want is a fairly weak gain sound, more of an amp modeler than a distortion pedal, just to clean up the mids from the mountain of fuzz I intend to create.

I'm already EQing the post-fuzz and then sending it through a garden variety Boss DS-1, which actually works out quite nice. Would be handy though just to tidy up the mid-range afterwards before it goes through modulation.

I'm leaning towards the Godzilla to be honest. It's got a really unique sound and would be a good alternative if I'm going to keep the Muff on the board.

Offline davidj

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:33:42 AM »
  • Publish
  • Welcome! :)

I can't contribute much to this I'm afraid - don't know anything about the fuzzy muffy stuff!
    I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments