October 23, 2017, 03:43:28 AM

Author Topic: Am I going nuts? Thought I understood valve amps - therapy requested.  (Read 1310 times)

Offline davidj

• View Profile
I've been using an unmodified Blues Junior for gigs.  15w has been plenty because although it's a large band (with brass, woodwind, backing singers etc), we play relatively gentle gigs and try to keep the back-line sound in control to give the singers a chance.

I normally set the gain pretty high so that with the volume up on the guitar I get a crunchy sound for solos and keep the guitar backed off for rhythm playing.

Yesterday we played an outdoor gig in the Brimingham Botanical Gardens and in the break a couple of people said I was too quiet in the mix, so I turned the master volume up for the second half, leaving the gain at about 80%.  Here's the weird bit - this seemed to clean the sound up and I struggled to get a comfortable sound at all - the volume pots went super-sensitive and much above about 3 the volume just went right up but I had lost the crunch I was expecting and just got a not-very-musical toppy sound that was too loud for everyone else on stage.

Am I expecting too much from a 1x12 15w combo and what's with the cleaning up?   Do the preamp volume and the power amp volume interract more than I realised?

Here's the scene of the crime......

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:56:35 PM by davidj »
I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
Blues Juniors do this. Once you are above 3 on the Master, not a lot of change is perceived by the player, but out front the sound will have blossomed. Welcome to the world of having to really control your sound from the guitar ;D

I always used my Juniors with everything set to 7 and do all the clean up to scream on the guitar's volume control.
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline davidj

• View Profile
Was I just not brave enough with the master vol then Rob?  It seemed too clean and too loud to my ears with the MV at about 4 and the gain at 8....

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
IF.... and it is a very big IF ..... My memory serves me correctly, always avoid using the Fat Button David. Fine fore home use, but for anything live turn it off.

Now it is perfectly possible that I am remembering a different Fender Amp of course......  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;D
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline davidj

• View Profile
You might be on to something about the Fat switch Rob!  I'll report back next time I am in a room big enough to open the taps a bit......

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments