October 23, 2017, 03:43:56 AM

Author Topic: New little valve amp  (Read 1102 times)

Offline John H

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
New little valve amp
« on: August 23, 2014, 05:09:22 AM »
  • Publish
  • Bob at DST Engineering has decided to retire from the amplifier business. He'll still do work for a small group of people (who own amps he built), but does not want to work a full time job and repair 300+ amps a year anymore.

As part of his decision to retire, he's been selling many amps that he has. Some are demos, and at blow out prices. This is one of them. The model is a DST U84 TNT. The design is based on a Fender front end, with a power section similar to the 18 watt MarWatts that he was building several years ago during the 18 watt amp craze. It is switchable between 2 and 8 watts, two EL82 valves, two 12AX7 valves, a Princeton transformer, and uses resistors to soak off the extra wattage so that the transformer still works hard when the volume is turned up. Speaking of turning up the volume, all the knobs go to 11.

He also threw in a free speaker cab with an Eminence Legend 12" speaker. The cab itself is for the combo version of this amp.

I'm having way too much fun with this. I've never had a low watt valve amp. It actually sounds better at the 2 watt setting. It gets really loose.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    Re: New little valve amp
    « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 08:47:53 AM »
  • Publish
  • Ooooh that looks like it will be the business John. As you know, I do have something of a soft spot for low wattage setups :D :D
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Black Country John

• View Profile
    Re: New little valve amp
    « Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 10:55:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • Now that really does look sooooooo nice , you will have to let us know how your Hess S.G sounds through it when finished  :)

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments