October 23, 2017, 03:44:16 AM

Author Topic: Practice/small(ish) venue amp for Takamine LTD2012C Michi  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
Practice/small(ish) venue amp for Takamine LTD2012C Michi
« on: November 19, 2014, 11:38:26 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi,

My wife is the proud owner of a Takamine LTD2012C Michi which she currently plays unplugged or through a borrowed amp. I am looking to buy her an amp for Christmas that she can use both for practice and in smallish venues (rooms for 50-100). I want a smallish amp that won't take over the small room at home where she practises, but one that will do justice to the guitar. Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    Re: Practice/small(ish) venue amp for Takamine LTD2012C Michi
    « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 11:45:21 AM »
  • Publish
  • Does the venue have a PA?
    The reason I ask is simply that the device I would recommend would still need a PA to get heard in anything above a small room.

I do know several people who use amps such as The Marshall Acoustic Amp with great success, but I am thinking tiny in size and very light weight. ;)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 11:52:07 AM »
  • Publish
  • The current setup has a PA but there are no spare sockets on the stage. I guess we could get a long cable and run it round the room. There has been discussion about replacing the PA and providing more sockets, but that is currently stalled as the supplier appears to be unavailable! Interested to hear your recommendation.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 12:01:15 PM »
  • Publish
  • So a Battery Operated Pure Acoustic Amp might be just the thing?

[url]http://www.acousticguitar.com/Gear/Reviews/Yamaha-THR5A-Review/url]

There are a few THR Users on here, me being one and I have to say, it is absolutely BRILLIANT.
    Heard nothing but good things about the THR5A and battery life is up to 7 HOURS!!!
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 03:35:42 PM »
  • Publish
  • To provide a little more context, the requirements would be (in rough order of preference):
    • Sound quality
    • Compact
    • Suitable for a 50-100 person venue* without having to rely on their PA (*where the audience were listening without much in the way of background noise; NOT a pub)
    • Additional I/O (e.g. ability to plug in a microphone)
    • Ability to use effects with other inputs as well as guitar
    • Lightweight
    I've probably missed some, but that's probably a good starting point.

Considering the value of the guitar, I don't want to scrimp on the amp. AER is a make that has been suggested, though they appear to start upwards of ?500. I would have to be convinced it was worth spending that sort of money.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 05:01:47 PM »
  • Publish
  • Best bet then is to have a chat with Mark @ visionguitars, he will steer you in the right direction. :)

Offline mickeyfrets

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 01:34:32 AM »
  • Publish
  • AER are amazing amps, but as you say very expensive, unfortunately. After that, Fishman do an acoustic amp, as do Marshall. I don't use any of these because going straight to the PA is always a better option.

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments