October 20, 2017, 08:14:22 AM

Author Topic: Newbie, getting back into acoustic.  (Read 2842 times)

Offline DanNewman

• View Profile
Newbie, getting back into acoustic.
« on: December 08, 2014, 11:41:46 AM »
Hey there,

Just a small introduction before I ask my main question. I have been playing guitar on and off for a couple of years, around 2/3 years ago I first started out with lessons and on moving to a new area and new job I no longer had much time for hobbies, as my work died down I had more time to get back to my hobbies.

I know most basic chords and can easily form any new chords that I may read from any websites like ultimate guitar and have always been happy with staying at a level of being able to play some songs from their chords and can also slightly remember my pentatonic scales. Since meeting a new colleague at work who has a studio and is very into their music (although he doesn't play guitar) he mentioned about having a little jam. In all honesty this has urged me to improve my skill and especially so in creating riffs over some blues chords.

Would anyone be able to help set me a learning list of things I should begin to learn in order to allow me to get better and increase my confidence when moving around the neck?

Many thanks and all replies are appreciated!

Thank you!  :)

Online Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
Re: Newbie, getting back into acoustic.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 01:22:21 PM »
Hi Dan and welcome to the forum.

We all do things differently, but many now will direct you to Justin's site
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBNkm8o5LiEVLxO8w0p2sfQ
Everything is covered in an easy and relaxed way, so I'd have a look there and see what you find that might help?
If you have any specifics in ming let us know and we'll see what we can do to help you along. ;)
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
    • View Profile
    • Daniel's blog
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 03:54:54 PM »
I'll second Justin's site 'cos its great.

If you are just want to have a bit of a noodle then it can be quite fun things to impose some rules on yourself. Note that having established the rules you then usually have to break them (tastefully)..

Some simple ideas I always enjoy are:

* Pick four notes (any scale you like, pentatonic is a good start). Try to build something with just those notes (and "expression" just as bends or slides).
* Try and play all the chords of the song with the third fret of the B string added to it (remember to tastefully break this rule if it sounds bad).
I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Offline davidj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 04:30:07 PM »
Welcome!

I recommend a squint at this book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Handbook-Robert-Fripp/dp/033032750X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418056117&sr=1-1&keywords=the+guitar+handbook

A great no-nonesense guide IMO.

Have fun, ask lots of questions! :)
I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Johnny-English

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 05:32:01 PM »
All excellent advice below so I will just say a big welcome to the forum  :D

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments