December 12, 2017, 10:15:30 AM

Author Topic: Hi Everyone!  (Read 7158 times)

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
Re: Hi Everyone!
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 12:09:19 PM »
Hah hah, Rob, thanks so much for all of that info?
Although I'm gonna have to admit that a lot of that has flown right over me! lol
There's a big guitar store the other side of London: guitar guitar.co.uk

I was thinking to pop along there in the next week or so and have a look at the guitars on offer, in the flesh.

However! Looking at there online store I'm liking the look (if I go ahead and take the plunge) of the
Jackson Dinky:
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=13070813312432
or even the Rhodes:
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=13070814504132

There is so, so much to take in, after much research?
It seems endless! lol
How you guys remember everything you remember - I don't know?

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
45 + years of being around guitars tends to sharpen the focus somewhat Simon  ;D
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 12:19:35 PM »
guitarguitar will look after you, as would Charlie Chandler's in Kew.

Shame I'm busy, otherwise I'd come along for the ride. ;)
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 12:25:36 PM »
45 yrs! Wow?

I'm 35, so defo a late starter...

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 12:42:29 PM »
Funny enough I had an acoustic for a long time, very long time, although never felt the want to pick it up and learn the guitar. No offence, but as a young lad it looked a bit boring to me, and didn't spark any real interest.

Been listening to rock & metal since the age of 10. More on and off around my 20's. But I've returned back to rock & metal and have done so for a good fews years. Absolutely love Def Lep and all the others I mentioned, so much so that I find the sound of the electric guitar fantastic! Only over the past couple of months of seeing a few guitar cover solos of various songs has it ignited a want to learn and play for myself.

The only thing I'm a bit scared of is the time to dedicate to playing.
I work full-time, and when I'm not working I'm either: weight training, tending to my birds, lol, I'm a keeper, breeder & exhibitor of a small type of Canary. I also have an interest in cigars (Cuban). I have a 7month old Son too. So, squeezing something extra in to my spare time - I'm a little scared that the time element might be an issue?
Also, learning the guitar, more often I'd imagine I'd have my headphones on. Something that the Mrs might find annoying after a while? These are just the only concerns?. lol
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:44:09 PM by Simon.G »

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 12:53:53 PM »
Recently saw a guy playing Def Lep tracks on a Jackson Dinky, via Youtube, and really liked the sound. Hence leaning toward Jackson. The Rhodes, after seeing it online, just looks crazy? and if I were to see it in the flesh I'd always wanna pick it up!

...Maybe I should opt for the Rhodes, and at worse, it could always be hung up as a decorative piece!

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 03:25:11 PM »
I just wondered - is it advisable to tune the guitar before every session?

Cheers,

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 03:41:49 PM »
Oh yes. Even with a Locking System such as The Floyd Trem, minor adjustments will be required.
It will become a completely automatic reflex in no time at all I assure you. ;)

My poor guitar has sat unloved for weeks on end throughout the summer, yet was only slightly off when I picked it up again about 5 weeks ago. I re strung it, stretched the strings within an inch of their lives and have been playing it a lot recently, the only stings that ever need a tweak (for me) might be the A or D.

I have spent a great deal of time prevaricating recently as to whether to start a gentle re profiling of the neck as I am now finding it a bit of a handful as the arthritis continues to make its presence felt, or, whether to sell the guitar and start again. THE ideal guitar has now appeared on the radar and I am trying to find a new home for my current axe, which should have been simplicity itself, but alas, the secondhand world is very fickle and I have wasted a great deal of time and effort to no avail...... yet!!

The unbelievable thing is, one of its previous owners, desperately wants it back again, and I do mean desperately, but has to sell his Tyler Studio Elite first, he's having as much fun as I am trying to get a suitable deal.

Ah well, such is life. ;)

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 04:18:02 PM »
So realistically if I were to start, from scratch, am I right in saying 30mins-hour a couple times a week and it'll take possibly 6mths to a year to grasp the basics and become familiar with chords etc, become confident with finger/hand placement?

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 04:46:12 PM »
I'd say that was realistic Simon. However, a word of warning if I may?

Guitars become completely addictive, you'll find yourself wanting to get home and play, you'll find yourself wanting to just look at it, you'll find that you will spend a great deal of time thinking about guitars in general.

The Diagnosis is simple......... "Hopeless Case"  ;)

The Prescribed Cure ............. Pick It Up and Play!!

Sadly, we are all afflicted here  >:D

Your progress will be charted by how much you find you want to play once you have the guitar in the house.
The trick, is that some kind soul shows you a few things that are not too difficult to play in the genre that you love.
For instance, "Too Late For Love"? The intro is actually quite easy and thanks to Steve Clark being the genius he was, just works so well.

Now, I wonder who that Kind Soul might be? ;)

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 05:34:20 PM »
Hah hah! Good man Rob? mhm? I wonder!

More research - and little and as often is better than what I suggested.

More food for thought.

Many thanks :)

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
    • View Profile
    • Daniel's blog
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2014, 10:03:20 AM »
I'd also say not to worry too much about the demands of children and other such things.

I first picked up a guitar aged about thirty and it was probably *because* I had children. My first love was and is computer programming and it was both my job and my hobby (I did code different things when I got home but I still coded). To do that *well* requires the sort of sustained and extremely focused long term concentration that it is very difficult for fathers of young children to find.

So I started fiddling with guitars instead... It was much easier to "pick up and play" a guitar than to try and find a long enough stretch of time to get in the zone for coding.

Then what Rob said might happen happened and I got hooked on guitar. I still code recreationally (which distracts from practice) but its usually on a guitar related project.
I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2014, 10:30:33 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Daniel, appreciate it bud.

Yes, I have a few things on the go, in my spare time.
I'm still juggling the idea of whether or not to take the plunge.
I've never felt a need to want to play as I do now? funny.
It's seeing others play songs I like, and just the sound of the electric guitar.
Absolutely love it. I've picked up on it in songs over time, but only now
it's really leaping out at me and grabbing my interest?.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2014, 10:58:52 AM »
You'll know when the time is right Simon.
One of the advantages to starting as early as I did was that there was endless amounts of time available. I know my Parents never quite understood how I could spend an entire day sitting in my bedroom playing, only appearing for meals etc. It became all encompassing and completely took over my life. Even now, whenever I see a guitar, be it on TV or in a shop, I just have to stop and look. I would be the first to admit, I reached the height of my abilities, such as they were, around the age of 20 through to about 30, then stopped playing, or even owning a guitar for 12 years due to turmoil in my life. I came back to it in about 1995 and practically had to re learn from scratch, but as soon as I started, that was that.

It's a sad time now that arthritis has begun to impact on my playing, but I'm still here making vile noises and enjoying myself.

Don't let this put you off, I know a great many whom have come to guitar far later than you and are enjoying it as much as I did back when I first started.

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2014, 11:07:33 AM »
Thanks Rob.
Very encouraging words.
Appreciate it  ;)

Where are you based btw?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:14:01 AM by Simon.G »

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments