December 12, 2017, 10:13:06 AM

Author Topic: Hi Everyone!  (Read 7158 times)

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
Re: Hi Everyone!
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2014, 05:06:21 PM »
Where are you from Rob?

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2014, 08:34:52 PM »
Oringinally, Surrey, spent childhood in Sussex, then moved to London, Eastbourne and finally find ourselves just south of Peterborough on the A1(M).
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2014, 05:20:23 PM »
Total newb question:
On tabs is it always numbered/indicated which finger to place on frets (numbered 1,2,3, and 4)?

Cheers,

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2014, 09:15:29 PM »
It's which fret that is represented by the number Simon.

E- 0
B- 0
G- 1
D- 2
A- 2
E- 0

Would mean, 3rd string fretted at 1st Fret
Forth String fretted at 2nd fret
Fifth string fretted at 2nd Fret

Where you see 0 it means the string is played Open, i.e. no frets pressed down.
As written above means all played together as opposed to one string at a time. ;)
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2014, 10:08:10 AM »
Thanks Rob :D

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2015, 10:52:19 AM »
Hi All,

Just an update, still lurking around and due to personal finances I'm having to wait for the right opportunity to acquire a guitar and amp etc. Meanwhile I'm still researching about the hobby. Happy New YEar btw. Cheers, Si

p,s
Defo leaning toward a Jackson. Just deciding 'which', on my budget of around ?230.
My eye is on either a Dinky or a Warrior

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2015, 10:59:32 AM »
Very Happy New Year to you too Simon.

In some ways, the timing could work in your favour. The next few months will see a lot of gear being offered for sale at very low prices, Credit Card bills and wotnot.

Keep your eyes peeled.

Offline davidj

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2015, 11:51:44 AM »
Hi Simon - sorry, late to the party to welcome you! :)

There's always room in a busy life to play your guitar - like Rob I started when I was a kid and could put plenty of time in.  Ironically I think I made more progress later on once I started collecting responsibilities.

The really good thing about playing the guitar is that you can go from complete novice to making a reasonable sound quite quickly.  Getting to the "blimey, you're good" stage takes a little longer and if I ever reach it I'll let you know!

Plus one on the advice to keep your guitar handy on a stand somewhere - you are much more likely to pick it up and play in a spare five minutes that way.

My tip would be - play with others as soon and as often as you can.  Even if you learn a couple of basic chords and are a bit hesitant about changing from one to the other - it's enough to make a bit of simple music with a couple of mates.  You'll start feeling like a guitarist in no time and in fact you will be one!

Ask a million questions ten times over if you need to and no-one will mind, especially not on this forum  :)
I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »
Thanks David & Rob.

A few newb questions  :-[  :)

When looking for a guitar, best to stick to basswood or mahogany?

And pick ups, does it matter how many there are present on a guitar and where they are positioned?

I.e, thinking about either a Jackson, or an Ibanez now?

Musical interests as a recap: Def Lepp, Ratt, Motley C, GNR, Kix, amongst other glam metal rock bands

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2015, 12:19:47 PM »
My budget for a starter elec is gonna be around 240-250 quid I'm guessing?

But not sure if I need to max out ,or not, to get the best for my money?

Thinking to avoid a FR for now too, due to starting and learning the ropes first?

Just wanna get the best for my money within this price bracket. Max out or not.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2015, 12:39:30 PM »
OK, if the Floyd can go on the back burner, you should get a very nice guitar within that range.
Only yesterday I saw one of these for sale for ?150 !!

Or there is something very similar to this for sale near me for around ?120 or thereabouts.

They DO crop up, so keep a keen eye out and always feel free to ask us what we think. :D :D

Johnny-English

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2015, 05:12:34 PM »
That Vintage V100icon lemon drop does it for me, and at that price it's a tone monster bargin .

Just because I'm a Pete Green fanatic has nothing to do with it 🙊

Those Vintage lemon drops are brilliant and have some fantastic revues . Is it still for sale Sir Stobbs 😎
Take it you are on the bonnets list
Bonnet list !!! Bloody prodictive text 😉 should be  Honners. List Sir Rob 😀
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 01:42:10 PM by Johnny-English »

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2015, 05:28:03 PM »
Yes still for sale and NO, not on my radar at all Sah. ;)

Offline davidj

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2015, 10:47:48 PM »
OK I'll have go at the "what sort of guitar to get" question.  You should have plenty in the budget for a decent guitar if you shop around and especially if you get a decent second hand one.

Pickups - strat-style guitars usually have three and they are  usually "single coil" ie they are skinnier to look at, having only one coil.

Les Paul style guitars usually have two fatter-looking "twin coil" pickups aka  Humbuckers .

To give you an idea of sound as a huge generalisation, a Les Paul will tend to have a crunchier more distorted sound and a Strat a more trebly and cleaner (ie less distorted) sound.  Les Paul sound say Slash and Strat sound say Mark Knopfler.  That said you can get very nice clean sounds from a Les Paul and super heavy distorted sounds from a Strat.

I wouldn't get too hung up about the type of wood in use personally, nor the number of pickups.  Rather I'd nip along to a guitar shop and have a tinker with a couple of diffent styles of guitar to get the feel and sound of them.

The main thing to satisfy is your own sense of what sounds good, although if you are just starting you may not have a strong idea of what you looking for yet.

I'm reluctant to steer you down one path or another, but going by your musical likes a guitar with Humbuckers might be more to your taste, but there is no set rule at all ( except if it pleases your ears then it's right!).

Most reasonable quality guitars will be playable and not make learning harder.  Those Vintage guitars like the one in Rob's post are by all accounts corkers and superb value.  A good Strat style at a reasonable price is a Yamaha Pacifica (they have one Humbuckers and two single coils), excellent quality and very good for the money.

I don't know a huge amount about Jacksons or Ibanez I'm afraid - do you have your eye on a particular model?
I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2015, 09:17:38 AM »
Thanks v much David for your input - much appreciated. Good read. Jackson wise I was looking at a Dinky, or even a Warrior. And Ibanez wise, unsure. Overall, the chosen guitar has to be between 150-250 quid.

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments