October 20, 2017, 08:14:54 AM

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 3178 times)

Offline Oatcake

• I'm trying.
    • View Profile
« on: December 19, 2014, 01:33:40 AM »
Hi all,
Just thought I would join here and pick up on some guitar (common) knowledge from you guys. For the past year or so me and a couple of friends have been trying to learn how to play, I'm slowly getting better but everything I know is self taught so I'm assuming I've managed to pick up some bad habits along the way.
I've been playing a cheapish acoustic I bought a while back and an electric that we've had hidden away for years.
Planning on buying myself a Christmas present of a new electric in the next week though as I'm slowly improving :)

I'm 23 from Stoke and have always wanted to play guitar but I don't come from a musical family so neither me or any of them have ever played an instrument. I've attempted to learn how to play umpteen time to no avail, until the past year where I have dedicated a few hours of the week to playing.
My dad is a metal/rock fan and the classics from Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden etc are hammered into my brain so I enjoy trying to learn songs from that era and style, but growing up with two 'alternative' venues nearby I've been going to local gigs since my early teens and have fell in love with modern bands like the Arctic monkey's, The Wombats, Miles Kane etc.
I've learnt one song from AM but its far from a finished work, I also have a soft spot for some really.. What I would refer to as classical style music derived mainly from my obsession with the final fantasy 7 soundtrack.

It seems like I want to learn every aspect really, but I'm just unsure where to start.
I've been learning mainly riffs for the year because I seem to struggle with chords on both acoustic and electric. Is there a recommended path to start I.e riffs or chords or is it purely what I feel best doing?

Thanks for reading and I hope you look forward to bring bombarded with ridiculous questions in the near future 😀

Elliott.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:46:33 AM by Oatcake »

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
    • View Profile
    • Daniel's blog
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 10:07:47 AM »
Hello and welcome to TGG.

If your planning to stay self taught then I think its find to (mostly) follow what you feel like doing. Its far better to do something than to put off doing something you don't want to do.

Personally I like to keep a couple of teaching books around to give me ideas of what to do next. I don't worry about working through them cover to cover... Its OK to get stuck and come back in a few months after a bit more practice on something else. Some tutor books can get far too hard far too quickly. In fact I often have several on the go at the same time so I can do what I feel like.
I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Online Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 10:24:54 AM »
Once again, Daniel has hit the nail on the head. Always regard any form of tuition book, DVD whatever as something to be dipped in and out of. I also agree that it is vital that you start off with something that you'd like to play, it always becomes more enjoyable when you begin to recognise what you are playing. :)

We are big fans of https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBNkm8o5LiEVLxO8w0p2sfQ and recommend time spent watching.

Above all else, ENJOY whatever it is that you are doing. :) :) :)
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Oatcake

• I'm trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 01:18:04 AM »
Thanks guys, I bought myself a book and have had a flick through but as you say its a lot to take in at once. I'm just hoping you all have the patience to deal with some daft questions in the future  :p I've got a few friends who play in bands that can help but the more knowledge I can get the better I will become I think  ☺

Online Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 07:45:52 AM »
Gaining as much knowledge as you can, from every resource is always a good thing Elliot, we will all be happy to help in any way that we can, ;) Rest assured, any question that you may think silly, has been asked many, many times before and as we say on here, the only silly question is the one that remains un asked. ;D

Enjoy the journey Matey.
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline davidj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 08:19:03 AM »
Welcome!

I've played for a few years and still ask daft questions all the time! 

To add to the excellent advice here I would also say - play with others as much as you can.  If you have a couple of mates who are in bands, hang out with them and play.

Also, a few one to one lessons from a tutor might well give you a good start and weed out the worst of any bad habits that are creeping in.

Enjoy the ride, if you want to play and put a bit of time into it you are bound to get there!

Ps played a few gigs in Stoke in me yoof!  Is the Bowler Hat (bowl o'rat) in Burslem still standing? If it is I'd keep out of the place anyway! :)
I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Offline John H

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 08:32:30 PM »
Welcome, and best wishes.

;D
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline Oatcake

• I'm trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 01:56:16 AM »
Welcome!

I've played for a few years and still ask daft questions all the time! 

To add to the excellent advice here I would also say - play with others as much as you can.  If you have a couple of mates who are in bands, hang out with them and play.

Also, a few one to one lessons from a tutor might well give you a good start and weed out the worst of any bad habits that are creeping in.

Enjoy the ride, if you want to play and put a bit of time into it you are bound to get there!

Ps played a few gigs in Stoke in me yoof!  Is the Bowler Hat (bowl o'rat) in Burslem still standing? If it is I'd keep out of the place anyway! :)

Thanks for the advice man, and boslem is the great unwashed (port vale) side of town so I couldn't tell you I'm afraid as I dare not venture there to often for fear of having my shoelaces nicked :p

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments