October 23, 2017, 03:44:55 AM

Author Topic: String choke  (Read 1286 times)

Johnny-English

String choke
« on: January 06, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi guys,

Started having trouble with string choke on the topE , if I bend a whole tone it chokes out ! But if I bend on the 13th it's okay .
    The rest of the strings are okay . I'm not one for low settings and the guitar has a good flatish radius.

Could the fret of lifted a bit !!

The. Guitar. Is my Vox SSC 55 .

Cheers

Uncle Johnny

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
      • View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    Re: String choke
    « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 08:44:42 AM »
  • Publish
  • A bit confused by this question.

Do you mean it chokes out at the 12th fret but not the 13th or do you mean everything chokes out above the 14th fret?
    I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Johnny-English

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 01:39:37 PM »
  • Publish
  • Okay yep see what you mean ,

If I bend up one tone starting on the 12th fret top E then it chokes out, but if I move up a fret to the 13th fret top E and bend up a whole tone its okay ,no choke   ???

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 03:43:11 PM »
  • Publish
  • How old are the strings John? ;)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Johnny-English

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 08:22:27 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi Rob,
    About 3 weeks home use , I tend to change string every month for home ,some times up to 6 weeks if the tone stays good and me not picking up and playing every day .

It just chokes out on the 12th and is good on every fret above , could it be that the 13 fret may of lifted a bit on the top E side .

The guitar play's perfect for my style of playing ,it's just that choke out on a full tone bend at the 12th , with just  slight fret Buzz if I do the same on the B string , but that's playable through the amp .

Does that help in help in a prognosis , or is it hammer the fret time ! :p

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 08:36:01 AM »
  • Publish
  • My suspicions are that either a fret has lifted slightly, does happen, I had the self same problem with The Oxblood if you remember, or, that one has shrunk down a tad. 1st port of call would be a straight edge and see what that reveals John. ;)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Johnny-English

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 02:15:35 PM »
  • Publish
  • Excellent Rob, Just give it a good hammering with a claw hammer but broke two strings !! :o

Now in the real world, cheers Rob, it was the fret, got it bedded back (  gently ) and all is well  ;)

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments