October 23, 2017, 03:44:48 AM

Author Topic: Pots.... Again.  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
Pots.... Again.
« on: January 14, 2015, 11:11:24 AM »
  • Publish
  • Righty Ho, Young Mr English has a slight issue with the volume pot on his Fret King "Jerry Donahue" Tele.
    Like so many Pots, it is either On, or Off, so he would like a suggestion for something with a sensible taper.
    Existing Pots are both 250K
    The Tone control works beautifully I gather, so it's just the Volume One that needs binning.

Answers on a Post Card would be really appreciated.
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Johnny-English

Re: Pots.... Again.
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 09:28:10 PM »
  • Publish
  • Cheers Rob , now I have the schematics for the guitar but it's in pdf, don't know how to change it to jpeg as it was saved in Adobe ,
    So that's the next question ! 😇 I can then send it to Rob ,who can then slap it on here .... I'm a total Neanderthal when it comes to PC stuff . ???

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
      • View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 08:09:16 AM »
  • Publish
  • Not much experience with pots (I generally end up with Alpha push-pulls but thats for the push-pull-ness rather than a joy of turning them).

Anyhow regarding the PDF... the simplest way to get an image is often to get what you want on the screen and take a screen grab:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/take-screen-capture-print-screen

It might be worth getting te PDF full screen first (perhaps View -> Full Screen Mode).
    I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 08:55:57 AM »
  • Publish
  • "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Daniel T

• View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »
  • Publish
  • That's weird... according the diagram the volume pot is linear taper and the tone pot is audio taper. Normally I would expect this to be the other away around.

Johnny-English

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 11:39:39 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks for getting the schematics posted for me Rob ... your a Gentalman sir .

Johnny-English

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 11:47:33 AM »
  • Publish
  • I was hoping you would take a look Daniel , any feed back on it or recommendation for a volume pot replacement would be appreciated .
    Would it be better to change both pots for a high quality pair or they part of the JD workings !

So some input guys on the way to go with this , the guitar is just a dream to play apart from the crappy volume pot
    Full on with a 1/4 turn . 8)

Johnny-English

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 01:11:03 PM »
  • Publish
  • If anyone wants a copy of the schematics then pm me your email and I will send in pdf form , or until I am shown how to change from pdf to jpeg .

Offline Daniel T

• View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 03:21:27 PM »
  • Publish
  • I was hoping you would take a look Daniel , any feed back on it or recommendation for a volume pot replacement would be appreciated .
    Would it be better to change both pots for a high quality pair or they part of the JD workings !

Other than the mechanical act of soldering there shouldn't be anything particularly problematic about replacing the pots.

Most of the clever wiring is in within the super-switch, once the hot signal goes to the pots then its a fairly standard single-coil volume/tone circuit, albeit with a treble bleed (but that's a pretty common mod for tele).

Can you see the pots clearly inside the cavity? What's written on them? If the volume pot really is linear taper that would definitely explain the "quarter turn feels like full on" that you describe.

Johnny-English

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 09:30:16 PM »
  • Publish
  • Just lifted the front plate and the volume pot has B 250k then a lot of solder on the top and about 9 wires in all , I can make out Alph before a big blob of solder on the top ,

Hope that helps ...... the tone pot looks straight forward and basic wires onto the tongues ,that one has A250k

Offline Daniel T

• View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 09:33:48 AM »
  • Publish
  • Well... what you see exactly corresponds to the wiring diagram.

My advice would be to fit a log taper pot (A) as the volume though I'd like to be clear this is based on theoretic knowledge rather than me having any practical here.

Have a good feel of the tone pot too... it seems the tone pot is very much personal taste. If you like the tone control you have the moment keep it as it is. If you find it a bit over sensitive between 3 and 10 then consider switching it to a linear taper (B).

Using this as an excuse to upgrade to CTS pots is definitely worth thinking about. One of my guitars had upgraded pots and they do feel great under the fingers. I'm skeptical you can hear the difference in tone but anything that makes you more comfortable makes you play better and I sure you can hear that.

And if you do end up with the soldering iron out... then please keep us posted on the state of your paws  ;D

Johnny-English

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 05:57:42 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hello Daniel , had someone give the fret king pots a look over  and the upshot is, the volume pot has a treble bleed capacitor across it ,so if you have any compression on or high drive ,even if you turn it down a long way ,it will still produce a load sound !!!

Took the Strange Mistress (Range master clone) away from my Vox amp and it?s a dream ? still winds up on a short turn but wondering if that was Jerry Donahue setting for how he uses the volume swell .

Anyway ,will stick with it as its a joy to play  :D

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments