December 11, 2017, 03:20:02 PM

TokaiL Electric Guitars

Author Topic: Simon's New One!  (Read 6090 times)

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
Re: Simon's New One!
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 10:07:55 AM »
  • Publish
  • There are 2 Chords that always sound amazing to my ears Simon, an Open A Chord and an Open D.
    You'll soon discover a really good cheat for the A Chord, use your index finger to fret strings 2,3 and 4 and avoid playing the Top E (Thinnest string) for now. OR, if you are feeling brave, bit of a stretch until your fingers and hand are used to it, Use your Pinky to fret the Top E at the 5th Fret whilst doing what I have just described. I use this an awful lot.

But I suppose I shouldn't be showing you "cheats" just yet. :D ;D ;)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 10:23:37 AM »
  • Publish
  • A Chord, use your index finger to fret strings 2,3 and 4 and avoid playing the Top E (Thinnest string) for now.

This is how I am learning it at the mo.
    Really nice sound to it.

Maybe because it reminds me of a song I like that incorporates it...

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 10:52:30 AM »
  • Publish
  • To me, when plugged in and some dirt has been added, the A Chord is Rock n Roll, almost Primeval in its sound. >:D >:D
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 10:56:16 AM »
  • Publish
  • A friend of mine said to me today:

"I will tell you a secret, about 70% of songs are in the key of G. The chords that are in that are G, Am, Bm, C, D, Em, F#m7b5. Don't worry about the F thats dimished."

Is this true?
    I aim to learn chords regardless of this quotation, mind...

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 11:14:10 AM »
  • Publish
  • He may well be right  ;D
    Stick with your plan and you'll be able to cope with what lies ahead. I have an on, off, love affair with Dm for some reason, but hey ho. ;D

Johnny-English

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 07:58:55 PM »
  • Publish
  • AC/DC have made a mint of money out of a fantastic back line of open chords and drums .

just get the hang of changing open chords and keep the right hand at a constant up down- up down

and then when you have nailed that you MUST learn the duck walk (AC/DC)  :D

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 09:52:32 AM »
  • Publish
  • Ha hah! Thanks chaps  ;D

I must say, starting to like the sound of the 'open E' now too! lol.

Working on the open D last night, that one is not ringing as clear - I need to ensure the high E is free from my ring finger catching it. The tuner indicates that the D major is ringing - but it just sounds short and abrupt and I can hear the high E not ringing clear enough. Not a bad start considering it was my 3rd day. Familiar with all 5 chords but now they will need perfecting, speed of changing through them will be the focus now, for however long it takes!
    « Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:55:19 AM by Simon.G »

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
      • View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 11:55:13 AM »
  • Publish
  • Makes sense!

Open-E and open-A both start with 0-2-2 which means the low notes have a more open sound. Chords like C and G start 3-2-0 and sound a little "busier" at the low end. You can really hear the difference if you play just the bottom two strings of the chord together.
    I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: February 08, 2015, 10:13:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • Just a quick update. Made it through my first week. I've practiced daily for an hour to two hours in the evenings. Am very familiar with chords CAGED and an easy Em. Yesterday and today I'm strumming Wild Thing. :D
    Gotta spend time learning chord changes a bit faster - particularly the open G and C. And look to learn more chords...

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 10:14:51 PM by Simon.G »

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: February 08, 2015, 10:19:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • You are doing well Matey. ;)

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: February 08, 2015, 10:25:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks Rob. It's a start, lol

Johnny-English

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2015, 06:46:12 AM »
  • Publish
  • That's a fantastic start. The amount of time you are practising will soon have your finger tips hardened up.

Start adding some open minor chords and that will open up many songs you will be able to learn 😄

Get the Dm , Am and Gm under your belt then practice chord changing .

A good song to practice to is " House of the rising sun "

You are doing really well so keep it up .

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 07:56:30 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi Johnny
    Many thanks bud! And will follow your advice. I'm teaching myself, so taking everything onboard, especially from those in the know like yourself. I'm happy with the progress so far, v early days. Cheers guys :)
    Fingertips are feeling the stress at times, but I just take a break or by the time I start to notice my tips sore it's normally after an hour or more of practice, so I tend to stop anyway.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: February 09, 2015, 09:29:09 AM »
  • Publish
  • Back in Prehistoric times, when the likes of myself, Johnny and Mr Sausage Fingers were first learning, guitars were very different beasts to what we have today. My first guitar had an action that was so high you needed Pliers to hold down anything much above the 3rd fret! I kid you not. My fingers bled all over that damn guitar, but in those days, what did we know? Lowering actions, if indeed it were even possible, was a completely foreign language back then and if like me, you lived in a very rural location, there just weren't any other guitar players to talk to about all this, so we just carried on regardless. :) I shudder to think how many times I must have caught tetanus from rusty old strings!

I'll never forget finally getting my first "proper" guitar and the revelation of what a lower action bought to the table. Mind you, "lower" by those day's standards would today be regarded as ridiculously high I'd guess? The advantage was that we all developed incredibly strong fingers and had calluses that were monstrously thick on our fingertips, so I suppose there was a pay off?
    I well remember what happened when I played my first ever electric guitar, it felt like there were no strings on it!!
    Throw away the Bass E String and get a Clifford Essex Banjo String as your Top E and then use the rest of the set from there on in. The First "Light" Gauge Strings and they were probably 11s  ;D

Things have changed so much with the coming of the interweb, Lordy, if only we had been able to tap into a resource such as this! :angel:

Sorry, history lesson over, now out you go into the Playground and get some fresh air! >:D >:D

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: February 09, 2015, 11:24:58 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hah hah, appreciate the "back in my day" insight Rob  ;)
    I agree - times have changed, and we have so much at our 'finger tips' these days. Free online tutorials, forums, who would've thought it. The internet can be put to real good use with the right intentions. It's nice how things have advanced. I consider myself a young un, born back in the Summer of '79, and times have changed somewhat even since then. So I can only imagine the transition for older folk amongst us. I have to admit though, I can be a sucker at times for how things used to be. I find great comfort in some of the more humble simpler things in life. Another hobby of mine, which you wouldn't really find a youngster taking up these days, but it goes back to my father and late grandfather - is bird keeping. I'm a bird keeper, breeder & exhibitor of a small type of canary (www.simonsfifes.com). Now many I come across consider that an 'old mans' hobby. But I take great enjoyment from line breeding livestock - particularly birds. It's a dying hobby 'bird keeping'. For me it reminds me of my childhood and keeps long lost loved ones: close still.

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments