December 14, 2017, 02:25:51 AM

Author Topic: pedalboard order  (Read 1867 times)

Offline curiousgeorge

• View Profile
pedalboard order
« on: February 01, 2015, 01:51:43 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi guys on my board I'm putting a stomplab IG ,   2dealays, reverb,  compressor/sustain,  tremolo,  wah,  volume, eq, chorus which is best order for them to get the best tone please

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    Re: pedalboard order
    « Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 03:10:25 PM »
  • Publish
  • You need JohnH for this George. ;)
    I'm sure he'll set you straight.
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline curiousgeorge

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 03:38:03 PM »
  • Publish
  • ok buddy thanks

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 04:23:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • Boy, you're not messing around.

Let's see... This is purely for reference, and you may find later that things sound better moved around.

I'd put the volume pedal first. Especially if you want to use it for swells, and as an effect.

Next, I'd go for the Stomplab IG (I had to look it up to see what it is) because it has a tuner, and you want that near the front of the chain.

After that, go for the Wah pedal. This argument can get fussy. Rule of thumb is a somewhat clean or dry signal going into a Wah pedal. I prefer hot as hell, and put mine after the overdrives, but before delays. Experiment.

Next would be the EQ pedal. This could also go before the Wah pedal. It depends how you are using it. If you're dialing in a sound, to set and forget it may sound fine in front of the Wah. If you're using it to boost a signal for lead tones, then after the Wah.

Next up, Compressor/Sustainer

Chorus

Tremolo

Reverb - interchangeable with Tremolo. See what sounds best to you.

Delays. I always like delays at the end of a signal chain because they do so much coloring of the signal. It's best not to have them in front of anything.

Hope this helps some. Always try to go in order of "least changes" to overall sound to "Most alteration" of your signal. Also, if you have an effects loop on your amp, put the Chorus, Tremolo, Reverb, and Delays in the effects loop. Then have the Volume, Stomplab, EQ, Wah, and Compressor in the signal chain of the guitar.

:)
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline curiousgeorge

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 04:48:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thats great thank you very much yes i want to learn swells i think it sounds great  .But i dont have an effects loop on my amp.Thank you again hope your headache isnt too bad ;)

Offline curiousgeorge

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 07:38:43 PM »
  • Publish
  • sorry forgot one major issue i have 2 amps so i can have  stereo  but the only stereo pedals i have are my reverb  and chorus ....sorry

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 07:48:03 PM »
  • Publish
  • Put the reverb last. I'd keep the chorus before anything that alters sound as much as delays or reverbs.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline curiousgeorge

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 08:33:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • so just swap the delays for reverb?

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments