October 21, 2017, 05:46:53 AM

Author Topic: String / finger sliding  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
String / finger sliding
« on: February 11, 2015, 10:15:17 AM »
  • Publish
  • I was learning my chords yesterday night, and decided to have a bash at the 'Smoke on the Water' intro. All went well, however I noticed when changing chords, and sliding the finger on the 6th string/E I get the sliding noise, which interferes with the intro. Am I supposed to remove my finger totally when changing chords for this basic intro? Is it because of my amp settings (happened clean, as well as with a bit of dirt added) or just because my guitar is more 'budget/lower end'?

Cheers,
    Si

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    Re: String / finger sliding
    « Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:18:17 AM »
  • Publish
  • This is where Muting comes into play Si, just rest the heel of your picking hand on the String as you move up to the next fret and the string whistle will disappear. ;)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:25:28 AM »
  • Publish
  • Can that still be done with this style of bridge and strings that go through the body?

http://c1.zzounds.com/media/fit,2018by3200/quality,85/8_Full_Left_Front_NA-7b44dea3b78f93edda46e80206a4ec67.jpg

Thanks,

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 10:37:42 AM »
  • Publish
  • Yup.
    What you do is this.

1. Rest the heel of your hand on the Bridge but not touching the string.
    2. Play the open bass string until you feel comfortable
    3. Now, move your hand very slightly so that the note no longer sounds and you get a thunking sound instead of a note. You have just muted the string, or if you like, silenced it. So do this as you move from Fret to Fret and you should end up with just the notes and not the whistle as you move from note to note.

Alternatively, relax the index finger on your Left Hand as you move up the neck to the next chord, so it isn't in contact with the Bass E  :)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 10:59:43 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks Rob - will give that a try tonight.

So when I'm muting - do I always mute, or is is just when I move my finger (move palm on/off bridge as I move my finger)?

Cheers buddy

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 11:08:46 AM »
  • Publish
  • Muting is something that can help, but in all honesty, it will serve you better to get the chords and moving them around to sound clean without having to resort to muting all the time.

You have come on leaps and bounds very quickly Si, so do not misunderstand what I am saying. At this stage of your playing life, you'll get all manner of strange noises, some are good, some are not so good. It is all a matter of experimentation. Don't forget, when amplified, especially with some Dirt, everything becomes that bit more sensitive and it is all part of the game of learning electric playing styles.

I started out as purely an acoustic player as Ragtime and Blues was my goal. Once I had become reasonably proficient at that, the switch to electric was a complete nightmare for me as suddenly there were all these noises which I had never heard before when playing an acoustic LOL.

Stick with it, you'll soon develop a clean chord changing style.  Muting however WILL become a very important part of your technique bearing in mind your choice of material. :)

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 12:35:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks v much Rob - appreciate your feedback as always  ;)

Johnny-English

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 12:46:10 PM »
  • Publish
  • You are doing well so fare but just nail the open chords first till you can comfortably change from one shape to another ,and by that I mean don't stick to a easy sequence
    Jumble the change order up so your fingers muscles learn the chord shape .

And then start adding some muting to the chords . its so easy to slip into jumping ahead  with the guitar so take on board Robs post and you will be moving along with your playing  :)

Johnny-English

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 12:47:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • sorry Simon, didn't see your reply to Rob before I posted  :)

Offline Simon.G

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 05:09:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • Top man Johnny - yes will defo follow your advice  ;)

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments