Offline Andy

• +6/-0
    • View Profile
Build it
« on: March 06, 2015, 01:05:50 PM »
I have seen on a well know auction site that you can purchase a kit form of an electric guitar. Has anyone tried these and if so are they easy to build and give good sound quality????
I can't play a guitar, without my guitar string "twang"

Offline John H

• Admin
  • +43/-0
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
Re: Build it
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 03:20:25 AM »
Most that I have seen built at other guitar forums all point to the same issues. Most of the neck tenon and mortise tend to not fit properly, nor have good alignment. If you have any wood working skills, this may not be an issue for you. You'll need to check everything before gluing the neck in place, especially the placement of the bridge and the angle of the neck coming off the body. If the angle is too steep, the bridge will sit way too high And if the angle is too shallow, the bridge will be too high when cranked all the way flush with the body. There are other minor flaws, but that is too be expected with a kit as inexpensive as some that I've seen advertised.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline Daniel T

• +24/-0
  • In search of fuzz, not farts
    • View Profile
    • Daniel's blog
Re: Build it
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 04:19:56 PM »
If I were you I'd try to decide whether you're in it for the entertainment value (i.e. you'll enjoy doing the build and want to learn stuff) or for the end product. I suspect its probably only worth doing if you are planning to enjoy the journey.

I've never build a true kit guitar but I did once inherit a bass guitar with every single component stripped off it and in a cigar box (it belonged to my uncle and we think he may have been planning to refinish it). It really was a terrific experience fitting it back together and trying to make it playable again. As it happens I've still not quite finished the build since the last step is a really difficult repair to one of the original pickups (thankfully something you won't have to worry about with a kit guitar).

By the was if you get one of the fender-ish kits you'll at least then you'll have a screw-on neck. These have the advantage that the angle they make with the bridge can be fettled by taking it off and wedging in a couple of business cards... this means most errors you can make whilst assembling it are reversable!
I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.