December 14, 2017, 02:15:46 AM

Cort Acoustic Guitars

Author Topic: New Songs  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Andy

• View Profile
New Songs
« on: March 07, 2015, 11:39:37 AM »
  • Publish
  • Yet another question guys. When learning new songs do you learn the first 4 or 5 bars, get them nailed then move onto the next set of bars etc, or play the whole song through over and over until its spot on????
    I can't play a guitar, without my guitar string "twang"

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    Re: New Songs
    « Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 11:49:17 AM »
  • Publish
  • Both. It depends really Andy, for example, if the Song is Riff Driven, then I might well spend time getting the Riffs nailed first and then move on to the main structure of the song itself, or vice versa. If it is mainly a more conventional song, i.e. Intro, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Solo, Chorus, Outro, then I'll get the chord sequences down first and then worry about Solos etc.

Mainly, in the early days, it was a case of get the chords down asap and then work from there, but as so much that I listen to these days is rather more intricate in make up, it tends to be the first thing that really grabs my attention that I'll work upon and then the rest follows. :)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 03:07:53 AM »
  • Publish
  • I'm pretty much the same as Rob on this one. It depends on the song, and what makes sense to get it to stick to my brain and make the fingers work.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
      • View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 01:32:30 PM »
  • Publish
  • Like others have said, normally I start with a riff and eventually work my way out into the whole track. However if the piece is a bit complex and hard to squish into my brain I sometimes try learning the last bar and working backwards bar by bar. The idea of learning like this is that you are always playing towards the parts of the song you know best and you'll finish on a high.
    I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments