October 20, 2017, 08:15:18 AM

TokaiL Electric Guitars

Author Topic: Back in Full Blown Slide Mode.  (Read 2819 times)

Online Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
Back in Full Blown Slide Mode.
« on: March 24, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
  • Publish
  • Between the battle with the Dentistry (All Finished) and advancing Arthritis, I had been feeling so out of sorts that I was seriously beginning to wonder whether my playing days were coming to their end. The ever patient and rather wonderful Carol, suggested that I go and shut myself away with the Oxblood, THR and Slide and see what could be done, she is in the middle of printing 200 copies of the 38 page Bi Annual Newsletter and knew that the constant churning of the printer was beginning to wear a bit thin. ;)

So, yesterday afternoon, I spent 5 hours having an absolute ball!  5 hours have never passed so quickly and I have to admit, I think this is the way forward for now. Instead of using a Backing Track, something which I quickly found encouraged appalling "over playing", I started jamming along with some favourite tracks and found this far more encouraging, remember Kids, "Less" really can be more!

I spent yesterday in Standard Tuning as then I knew where I was going and after about an hour, really had begun to get the damping down, finger style is definitely the way for me, allowing for even more damping and even, dare I say it, beginning to sound pretty proficient again.

So be warned, there may be quite a few posts coming along talking about all things Slide........ Again! ;D ;D
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
      • View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    Re: Back in Full Blown Slide Mode.
    « Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 05:02:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • No worries here! I've never spent as much time with a slide as I would like to. I love the sound but never really manage to get much of a groove going.

That said I did dig out that three string bushcraft guitar I knocked together the other day. It has no frets so playing slide is mandatory. I spent a happy few minutes on that.
    I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Offline davidj

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 11:40:41 PM »
  • Publish
  • Good work.

I have no slide chops at all so I'm interested to know how you get on.  Any tips?

I know what you mean about backing tracks.  Not sure why, but I'm the same -  I always seems to overdo things over a BT.
    I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Offline Sausage Fingers

• Forum Elder.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 11:48:56 PM »
  • Publish
  • Never really thought about slide much  :-\ I must give it a try. Thanks for the motivation Rob

What tuning do you recommend to start off with?
    « Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:51:22 PM by Sausage Fingers »
    If nothing ever changed there would be no butterflies

Online Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 09:41:18 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi George,

If you are thinking about the Martin, I'd suggest starting off with a simple one, Dropped D. The beauty of this is that you then have a Chord on the 3 Bass Strings, but everything else is where you expect it to be. Also, don't forget, you also have a Chord on DGB Strings played together.

Alternatively, I have also had great fun with Double Dropped D, where both E Strings are tuned down to D.
    It is then a very easy transformation if you so desire to go to Open G just by dropping the A string a Full Tone. ;)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline vic108

• Pop culture destroys everything it touches
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 05:12:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • Glad you had some good fun, Rob.
    I think I could learn alot from seeing what you do!

Guitars will get you through times of no money better
    than money will get you through times of no guitars

Offline Sausage Fingers

• Forum Elder.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 09:33:44 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thank you for the information Rob

I have a few hours to spare on Thursday so I am going to utilise that time to have a go

Nothing like breaking a bit of new ground  8)
    If nothing ever changed there would be no butterflies

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 11:30:48 PM »
  • Publish
  • I know everyone does things differently, but here are a couple of pointers for the less experience players here.

Remember to keep the slide over the fret itself. It doesn't go where your finger would go. And don't forget to try to keep the slide parallel with the fret. It'll be a bit tough at first, but just stick with it.

You'll want to raise your action a tad if you're guitar has a very low action.

I like to wear a slide on my ring finger. That gives me the ability to mute the strings with my index finger, stabilize the slide or play notes behind the slide with my middle finger, and play notes above the slide with my pinky.

If muting the strings is difficult with your left hand while trying to get sounds, palm mute the strings you're not playing with your right hand. I find this easiest with a Gibson style bridge setup. It's not as comfortable with a Strat, where left hand muting would be key. Also, if you're playing finger style without a pick, try using your right hand finger tips to must the unwanted strings.

I like metal slides on acoustic instruments, and glass slide on electrics. Except for my table and lap steel guitars. I like using a metal "Stevens" bar for those.

Now, with all this talk of slide, I'll have to dig one of these out.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:36:54 PM by John H »
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline Daniel T

• View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 09:43:37 AM »
  • Publish
  • Rob's post acted as a bit of a reminder for me so last night I spent some of my birthday money and ordered myself a book on beginner's acoustic slide...

I shall keep you posted on my progress.

Online Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 09:44:55 AM »
  • Publish
  • Excellent, which book did you go for Daniel? :)

Offline Daniel T

• View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 11:47:57 AM »
  • Publish
  • Sorry for delay... and in the final stages of changing to a new job (yay).

I've bought David Hamburger's Acoustic Guitar Slide Basics:
    http://www.boosey.com/shop/prod/Hamburger-David-Acoustic-Guitar-Slide-Basics-Book-CD/911132

Looks like a good starting point. Pretty basic but that's rather what I need. Starts out in open-D with mostly melody notes if move on to pieces in open-G with bass and melody plus the odd slide chord thrown in.

I'm currently on the "single string melody" section (i.e. the first page that doesn't just teach you how to read tab).

Online Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 12:09:42 PM »
  • Publish
  • I feel your pain. 13 Pages on what Tab is can get a tad irksome.  >:D

Hope the job transition is going smoothly and that you'll be happy once the hiatus is over. :)

Online Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 12:12:18 PM »
  • Publish
  • Well that was a surprise! I had no idea that I had a set of 12's kicking around here!!
    They are now installed and after a bit of Truss Rod adjusting, WOW!  I'm not saying everyone should do this by any means, but it has made a world of difference. And the sound!!  Growling, Snarling, all in all, GREAT Fun. ;D ;D

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments