October 23, 2017, 03:44:50 AM

Author Topic: Slides and choice there of.  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
Slides and choice there of.
« on: March 24, 2015, 01:11:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • Tying in with me rebirth as a predominantly Slide Player for now, I thought I'd revisit something that was lost when we switched the forum over.

Slides and various types thereof.

I have a few slides of varying sizes and materials, Ceramic, Brass, Chrome, Glass, Pyrex, you name it, some I favour over others, but each tends to bring something different to the table, so they all have a place.

For now, I am using a comparatively heavy (Thick Walled) Glass Slide that is slightly shorter than those which I used before, reaching across 5 Strings as opposed to the more usual 6. I got into this size quite a while ago when I used a somewhat unique slide that was marketed by Kirk Lorange, Aussie Slide Meister and well worth checking out. Anyway, the only problem that I had with that was that it is a very heavy old bugger and more than I can cope with until I get my chops back up to speed again. It also has to be said, I am preferring the sound of the Glass slide over Brass at this time, this will undoubtedly change, it always does. ;)

I know a few of you dabble at Slide and there are a few Slide Demons on here too, so what floats your particular boats and more importantly, why? ;)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    Re: Slides and choice there of.
    « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 11:46:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • For me, I like three different styles of slides.

For my Dobro or an acoustic guitar, I like this steel tube that I made at work one day back in the mid eighties. It had to be custom made, because I couldn't fit anything over the knuckle of my left ring finger. I can't believe that I still have it, and can see it next to a Coricidin bottle.

That brings us to the Coricidin bottle. It was a type for cold remedy here in the Colonies, and Duane Allman made the pill bottle a popular choice for slide playing. I have two that will fit my ring finger, and span six strings on the neck. I prefer this slide for electric guitars.

For my lap style and my Consolette, I prefer a "Steven" bar. It is used by many pedal steel players. It is a very comfortable steel to use. One can get better control of their intonation and palm muting with this style steel.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
      • View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 09:48:17 AM »
  • Publish
  • I have a big metal one and a fairly flimsy glass one (a Dunlop 210).

The big metal one feels too big for use with a guitar that is not setup just for slide playing then no matter what I do it seems to spend most of its time bouncing of the frets. The glass one is much more manageable and it what I use at the moment whatever guitar I'm using.

That said at the moment pretty much the only thing I can play is "In the Pines". Perhaps if I develop a bit more delicacy I'll have another go with the metal slide.
    I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 09:51:42 AM »
  • Publish
  • Boring as they come no doubt, but here are some of the weapons of choice.

"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 09:59:18 AM »
  • Publish
  • I also have a Brass slide that is the same length as the 2 bigger ones, that gets used very occasionally because it is incredibly light, it also imparts a very toppy tone, which has its uses at times.

The Blue Ceramic Slide is without a doubt the best I have ever met for Acoustic purposes, there's something about it that seems to "almost" add a natural compression, but sadly, I don't find it as impressive with an electric. That said, it does have one really useful trick up its sleeve, turn it so that the script is being used as the slide and you can get a wonderful rasp to the sound.

The smaller of the Glass slides is the weapon of choice at the moment, but I did revisit the Kirk Lorange heavy Brass Slide again for a while yesterday and I must try and get the strength back up in my Pinky as whilst great fun, Lordy it is damn heavy. :-\

Offline Daniel T

• View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 11:50:45 AM »
  • Publish
  • Looks like I have to start adding to the collection of slides to find the perfect one...

I have a brass one in the post at the moment. Its almost exactly the same size as my glass one but should be heavy enough for acoustic work and I'm hoping that the slight flaring at one end will help it reach across all the frets more easily. Time will tell.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 12:13:33 PM »
  • Publish
  • If you want to try any of mine Daniel, just drop me a PM with an address. ;)

Offline Daniel T

• View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 09:27:48 AM »
  • Publish
  • Well I have the new slide. It fits nicely on my ring finger and is a very pleasing heft (and it is shiney... ooo... shiney, shiney, thing). Sadly I have no time at all this week to play with it.

Sigh...

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments