October 23, 2017, 03:45:09 AM

Author Topic: Question about the action on my tele  (Read 2071 times)

Offline davidj

• View Profile
Question about the action on my tele
« on: March 28, 2015, 04:47:47 PM »
  • Publish
  • I decided to give my Squier tele a birthday.  Linseed oil and some new 10s, some switch cleaner for the noisy pots and I tweaked the action, intonation and neck relief.  A quick blast through my little Session amp and I'm chuffed with it.

It was a super cheap one - ?125 brand new a few years ago.  Nonetheless its a great guitar and sounds superb though the Session amp.

My question is about the nut - do you think it is too high?  And is it worth getting a better one made?  I assume it's made out of something cheap!  Here's a picture - I hope you can get an idea of the gap from this.

I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    Re: Question about the action on my tele
    « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 09:59:54 PM »
  • Publish
  • First question has to be, how do YOU feel it plays David? If you are liking the feel etc, then leave well alone.
    But, it could of course be fettled. Muwahahahahaha.  Up to you and what you are feeling under your fingers. ;)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline davidj

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 09:16:49 AM »
  • Publish
  • The guitar plays and feels pretty good - I don't particularly like a really low action.

But the action seems to be a shade higher at the nut end.  I know this is normally the case, but maybe there is more of a difference than I'd ideally like.......

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 10:21:18 AM »
  • Publish
  • Well in that case, I don't feel quite such a heel making this observation then David. ;)
    The mass of the Nut, is slightly higher than one usually expects to see on a Tele, or Strat, so if it is bothering you sufficiently, I'd get a new Bone nut made up and installed. Most Fender nuts, when done properly are usually rather smaller than that and the strings do sit on top, as opposed to "in" the nut to the extent that your picture is showing?

If it were me, that's the route I'd be exploring certainly. :)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline davidj

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 11:01:38 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks Rob - no need to be reticent about saying what you think, it was better informed opinions than my own that I was inviting! :)

It's always struck me as quite crude and chunky, compared to the rest of the bits and bobs on the guitar (allowing for the fact it's an entry level guitar).  I'll make some enquiries.

When I got the guitar it had a mushy feeling neck joint because the skinny little screws were biting both the neck and body on the way through.  A quick bit of work to open up the holes in the neck and then some replacement neck screws made an amazing transformation to the whole feel of it.

Apart from fettling and TLC I have also put an electro jack socket on the guitar.  It's a remarkably good axe - lovingly made in Indonesia according to the sticker.   They must be on some good stuff over there!

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 11:12:32 AM »
  • Publish
  • Well I have admitted this before I am sure, but one of the nicest guitars I have EVER played, was a very Secondhand, butchered, Squier Tele that I came across in a store back in probably around 1989/90. It was sitting looking lonely with a price tag of ?120, which I didn't have on me of course. Went back a few days later and it was gone. I asked about it and they told me that it had fallen off its stand and was being repaired. I often wonder where it is now?

Regrets????  ;D

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 07:04:40 PM »
  • Publish
  • If the nut isn't glued to tightly into the slot, you could try to carefully remove it. If it has a flat bottom, then you could slowly remove a bit of material from the bottom until it sets the strings at a height that you like better. The, take some sand paper and remove some of the material at the top. A little more than half the diameter of the string is all you really need for the string depth.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Offline fender6ix

• View Profile
      • The Rockstox
    « Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 11:37:12 AM »
  • Publish
  • The photo made me look at the nut and action on my Tele. It's pretty much identical to David's. The strings sit lower than the top of the nut as well. I'm happy with the playability and action on mine, so for the time being I'm going to leave well alone!
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
    Twitter: @fender6ix @TheRockstox

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments