October 20, 2017, 08:15:26 AM

Cort Acoustic Guitars

Author Topic: Inspecting a second hand spanish guitar  (Read 909 times)

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
    • View Profile
    • Daniel's blog
Inspecting a second hand spanish guitar
« on: April 17, 2015, 10:54:20 AM »
  • Publish
  • There is a possibility of a new guitar on the Thompson household (this isn't news, there *always* that possibility, however this time the possibility is imminent).

As usual I'm looking at second hand instruments but this time I fancy branching out with a nylon string guitar. Is there anything I should do different when inspecting that sort of guitar?

I suppose I have to pay the neck even more attention than I would usually?
    I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Online Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    Re: Inspecting a second hand spanish guitar
    « Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 11:26:25 AM »
  • Publish
  • The biggest failures with a Spanish style guitar can usually be associated with the Bracing Daniel. So rather than having to perform ridiculous contortions trying to have a look, the easiest way of checking things out is do do some gentle tapping all over the Body, if there is a rogue Brace, you'll hear it as a definite thunk. Check everywhere, Top, Back and sides.  If you hear a strange vibration when playing a note or chord, it's a sure sign that a glue joint is giving up.

Other than that..... Obviously sight down the neck, no Truss Rods here y'know, so if you see too much relief, walk away. ;)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
      • View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    Re: Inspecting a second hand spanish guitar
    « Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 01:32:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • Excellent! Thanks for the reply.

I'll be sure to do lots of tap testing. I haven't paid much attention to that in the past...
    I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments