December 14, 2017, 02:16:37 AM

Author Topic: Enjoying Learning  (Read 3180 times)

Offline kevmar

• View Profile
Enjoying Learning
« on: May 18, 2015, 09:54:08 AM »
New to Guitars,mind you saying that i'm now on my 8th.
Just bought two,an Encore Blue Burst for practicing
and a Legacy for the bits ive learned.
Both acoustic.
I'm now ok with 8 chords,
doesn't seem like uch to the pros lol maybe
but quite a challenge for me.
Just getting chord progression better,again a challenge.
Re my Legacy,I was told it was made in Australia?
Anyone know anything about these?
Cheers kev.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 08:24:16 PM by kevmar »

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
    • View Profile
    • Daniel's blog
Re: Enjoying Learning
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 11:56:20 AM »
Hello! Welcome to TGG.
I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Offline kevmar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 08:24:49 PM »
Thanks Daniel.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 09:25:15 AM »
Hi Kev and Welcome Aboard. ;)

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party, but real life got in the way somewhat recently.

Congratulations on the purchases, looks like you have 2 nice acoustics there?  As you'll discover when you've read through more of the forum, I am something of a fan of acoustics, my first 6 or 7 years of playing was done on nothing but acoustics and I like to think that it gave me a really good grounding as a player, it certainly came into its own later on when I adapted many techniques and applied them to electric playing, this was long before the days of Dire Straits so an electric player that used a lot of fingerstyle playing was still something of a rarity, sure there were many others doing it, but in the circles in which I was moving at the time, it was an unusual approach. :)

So, where are you in your journey? I am guessing that it is quite early on, so the best bit of advice I can offer is, ENJOY every second. :)

Looking forward to seeing more posts about your travels down the road as a guitar player. :)
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline kevmar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 02:06:28 PM »
Thanks Rob.
I'm a beginner in the truest sense of the word.I pick up one of my Guitars
at every spare moment.If I go upstairs for what ever reason ,I usually have a search party looking for me  :p
Iv'e inprinted about 8 or 9 chords into my brain,so my fingers follow what my thought pattern tells them,and i've got the callouses to prove it.  :laugh:
My concern was the conflicting advice iv'e picked up along the way ,from youtube and books.Such as the G chord for e.g. Iv'e gone with the ful G ,i.e two fingers on high E and B and the other two at top as per. Others say one finger on B ? also the A major,3 fingers in a row,another says cover two strings with one finger and the other fitts one finger without crowding?
I'm trying to follow the script by others who have forgotten more than i know  :-[ at this stage.
Anyhoo thanks for the reply and allowing me on the forum,great site.

Johnny-English

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 07:02:56 PM »
Hi Kev,

Welcome to the Guitar Grounds , I feel it's always best to start out on your guitar journey with an acoustic , you get a better feel and concentrates you on getting chords nailed .

Regarding chords , you can get variations of a chord ,play the one you feel comfortable with .

For me the open G always sounds nicer with the B and E string used , other players will differ and that the nice thing about playing .

Keep us up to date on your progress

Offline kevmar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 11:33:07 PM »
Thanks fellas

Offline davidj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 10:12:06 AM »
Welcome!

I agree with Johnny - acoustic guitar is the way to get started - and for many the place to stay too.  Little and often is the way to improve and you'll be surprised how soon you will be making music.

:) :)
I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Offline kevmar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 11:08:15 PM »
 :)

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments