October 20, 2017, 08:15:49 AM

Cort Acoustic Guitars

Author Topic: Chords  (Read 1056 times)

Offline kevmar

• View Profile
Chords
« on: May 18, 2015, 10:03:43 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hiya ,great forum and I sincerely mean that!
    Regarding chords Iv'e spend a lot of time reading books,watching videos ,and talking to Guitar players ,some say they been playing for 35/55 years etc.
    But all seem to vary chords.
    If if going to get a finger pattern fixed into my brain it makes it hard as i'm thinking
    ''should i stick that into permanant memory'' ?
    E.g G chord,I have been shown full G  with 4 fingers,
    others say 3 fingers.
    Same with A major,I was told three in a row A three in a row A
    I was told to cover D with one anf gb strings with one finger?
    I was hoping there was a standard learning pattern.
     :confused:

Offline davidj

• View Profile
    Re: Chords
    « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 11:45:45 AM »
  • Publish
  • Tricky one this - there is no absolute standard way of playing many chords on the guitar because there are several places to play the same note.  Also there can be alternative combinations of notes that produce any given chord.

Once you get going, the fact that there are alternatives is useful and can give you some ways to add colour to your playing.

But it's no help at all when you are setting out and can be confusing!

I suggest sticking to the simplest version of a chord (eg three fingers for the G chord) that you can to start with.  If there are different ways to use your fingers to hold down the same notes use the one that is most comfortable.  Over time you'll become more familiar with the variants and it won't seem like such a big deal - but for now don't worry about them too much and keep it simple.  Hope this helps.
    I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
      • View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 12:14:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • Absolutely agree with David. At this stage just relax and use the fingering you find easiest.

I'd say there's no "wrong" chord to put into permanent memory. It merely that as you progress you'll probably end up adding other ways to play it... and that's good too.

As it happens I remember the A chord was a real problem for me when I learning because I couldn't fit my fingers into the space provided using the most common fingering found in learn-to-play-guitar books (index finger at second fret on D string, middle finger on G, ring finger on B). Likewise I could get the hang of the mini-barre approach lots of guitarists use instead (index finger flattened at second fret and covering D, G and B all at once). In the end I adopted a different fingering to make more space for myself (middle finger on D string, index on G and ring on B). I remember at the time it felt like I was cheating somehow... today I certainly don't think of that sort of thing as cheating, rather I think of it as learning!
    I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Offline kevmar

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 08:47:43 PM »
  • Publish
  • Very helpfull guys thanks for that.Yes it does feel like cheating when you feel like going against the ones that know more than me.
    At least im glad for every bit of advice,and i'm determined to learn more than the first part of half a world away ,by Oasis  :P 

Online Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 09:36:06 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi Kev,
    I completely understand what you are saying, but as the other guys said, there really are no "rights" or "wrongs", unless of course you are going for the fearfully rigid disciplines that come with the Classical Guitar techniques. Those are a whole world away from the things that most of us get involved in, thank goodness.

As you get further into playing, you'll begin to pick up on fingerings for certain chords that you do have to bastardise heavily, just to be able to play them, so don't sweat too much on doing something with too much of an analytical approach.

An example being a hybrid version of an A Chord that I used almost exclusively for years.
    If one played it conventionally, the stretch involved would have wrecked your joints in no time at all. So what I did was fret the D, G and B strings with my index finger and then fret the Top E at the 5th Fret with my Pinky. You can spice this up even further by also fretting the B string at the 5th Fret as well which gives you a very nice A5th  :)

I can really recommend this site as being one of the more useful when it comes to trying new ideas,
    http://www.chorderator.com/designer/
    « Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:38:11 AM by Rob S »
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments