October 23, 2017, 03:44:21 AM

Author Topic: If money was no object  (Read 1318 times)

Offline kevmar

• View Profile
If money was no object
« on: May 18, 2015, 09:06:32 PM »
  • Publish
  • I know i'm  new to the guitar and hope to be a guitar player one day
    but after looking around and seeing,touching and being shown how the guitar can sound and that includes my own. One day I would love to own a Gibson Hummingbird.
    Some of you guys will have ''Rolls Royce'' guitars ,but i'll ask anyway
    what Guitar would you one day like to,or hope to own?
    « Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:35:16 PM by kevmar »

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
      • View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    Re: If money was no object
    « Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 11:09:43 AM »
  • Publish
  • I've got a great collection of guitars at the moment (none in Rolls Royce territory but I'm happy). I still check the classified ads pretty frequently but, right now, I don't really expect to bite on anything very much.

At some point I'll probably provide a home for a Les Paul... although when I do it probably won't say Gibson on the headstock. I'd also like to get hold of a decent nylon strung classic guitar although I know so little about them I don't have any particular brand in mind.
    I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Offline davidj

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 04:22:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • I don't have a semi-acoustic guitar - I'd go for a Gibson 335.  My acoustic guitar is a 35 year-old basic Yamaha.   A 21st birthday present from my then girlfriend.  It's ok but.....  A Martin would be nice (I know next to nothing about acoustic guitars so I couldn't say which model)........
    I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Johnny-English

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 10:42:21 PM »
  • Publish
  • At the moment it's lusting after a Gibson 339 , but would love to place a build order for a custom made G&L asat special with birds eye maple neck with a nice chunky V shape to it .

If I have any change then a nice slab of Cadbury fruit and nut would just top it off 😀

Johnny-English

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 09:48:35 PM »
  • Publish
  • Been pondering my post , if it was a one off keeper then without a doubt it would have to be the Gibson Les Paul gold top with P90s .

Sticking with that 😀

Rob had a very special one of these , and having Rob tell me just how wonderful the tone was on that guitar just puts it at the top for me .

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 09:52:25 AM »
  • Publish
  • In many respects, while on the face of it a comparatively simple question to answer, it isn't! ;D

For me, having been in the extraordinarily fortunate position of having owned some of what I would consider to be amongst the Pick of The Crop, I think if you don't mind, I'll separate this into 2 categories.

Acoustics:
    I had an absolutely beautiful old Martin D28 that I adored, sadly it was nicked, so I replaced it with a Martin 00028.
    BUT, the most wonderful sounding acoustic I have ever played belonged to a very dear friend. That was a hand made in the UK Fylde Oberon. It sounded like a Concert Grand Piano and was an absolute delight. He still has that guitar and the older it gets (Now coming up for 35 years old!) the better it sounds!

Electrics:

Easy, I was a Gibson Nut through and Through so as mentioned by Mr J.E. it would be my desert island guitar for me as seen in my avatar. My gorgeous 54 Gold Top Re Issue. I have owned and played many Les Pauls, but nothing has ever been quite the match of this one.
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    « Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 08:06:41 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'm pretty sure that I will try to have either a Gibson ES335 or ES345 in the near future. I'll probably have to sell a bunch of stuff to achieve that. I think the time is right.

I'll be building a Les Paul like Rob's old '54 re-issue in the not so distant future, which will cover my Les Paul with P-90's lust.

Someday.... maybe just someday.... I will get my hands on a proper acoustic guitar. I played a solid Koa Taylor last year that I absolutely fell in love with. Maybe it'll be one of those.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments