December 14, 2017, 02:17:10 AM

Author Topic: New learner  (Read 3209 times)

Offline fingers

• View Profile
New learner
« on: June 06, 2015, 10:53:36 AM »
Hello everyone! I am a 62 year old Welshman who has started to learn playing the guitar and i am enjoying the experience so far. I  have been practicing on a Yamaha FG700MS acoustic and once i get more proficient i intend to get a Yamaha APX500 Mk3.I have learned a lot of the open chords and i'm getting better changing between different chords, speed wise. So now i have decided to try and learn barre chords. Takes quite a bit of practice and finger stretching lol but i am really focussed and intend to give it my best. Cya!

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
Re: New learner
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 12:16:29 PM »
Welcome aboard !!!

Barre Chords, the stumbling block of many a Player, but well worth the effort. You have a nice guitar there, enjoy!! ;) ;)
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline davidj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 01:32:03 PM »
Welcome and good luck!  Good to hear you've made progress.  Keep it up and you'll be hopping from A to B in no time!
I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Offline fingers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 03:49:11 PM »
Thanks for the welcome both. Going to get these barre chords right if it's the last thing i do lol. Practice, practice and even more practice is the only way i'm going to master them.

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
    • View Profile
    • Daniel's blog
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 09:03:55 AM »
Welcome to TGG!

Quite right about the practice... barre chords will take a while to get right. Very much worth it in the long run.

Make sure to go back to the open chords whilst you are going. That way you can enjoy yourself with things you play well every now and then!
I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Offline fingers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 06:37:37 PM »
Hi Daniel and thanks for the welcome.
I really enjoy practicing every day. I make sure i spend time on the open and barre chords. I am also trying to memorise the notes on the neck. Shall get there in the end, God willing lol.

Offline Sausage Fingers

• Forum Elder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 11:58:46 PM »
Hi Fingers I was a late starter to the joy of playing guitar just like you. It changed my life, totally, keep chugging away and enjoy the journey. I started off wanting to learn to play an electric and have a well worn Squire Strat that still gets played occasionally but I play Acoustic 99% of the time now.

I think every guitar player should have a half decent Acoustic hanging around the house within easy reach of their favourite chair.

Have fun  :cool:
If nothing ever changed there would be no butterflies

Johnny-English

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 07:44:41 AM »
Hi fingers,

Nice to see you are practicing well , you say you're trying to learn the notes on the finger board ! Well just by learning the notes on the bottom E then that is 2 out of the 6 string you have learnt ,as its the same on top E string just an octave higher 😀

Learning the notes on the E and A strings will give you the root notes for most of the chords you will ever really need , so for now just concentrate on those two strings 👍
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 03:54:01 PM by Johnny-English »

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments