October 20, 2017, 08:15:53 AM

TokaiL Electric Guitars

Author Topic: Double incoming!  (Read 2295 times)

Offline fender6ix

• View Profile
    • The Rockstox
Double incoming!
« on: July 01, 2015, 06:09:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • well, an exciting couple of weeks on the guitar front.
    Firstly, my birthday present.

A Gretsch Electromatic Center Block, I originally (as related in an earlier post) went looking for a Les Paul. Something special for my 50th birthday. Nothing jumped out at me, I toured several shops, but nothing stood out as special. I then saw a pic of one of these on the web and thought "wow". Obviously, I would need to play one and see if it was as good as the pics.
    A visit to Andertons in Guildford was arranged as I was in the area on other business (arranged by me to enable the visit to the aforementioned guitar shop  >:D >:D).
    I played it in the store, and it was everything I had hoped for. The neck was perfect for my stumpy fingers.
    A range of sounds that suited my style flowed from the Marshall combo the store let me abuse use.
    The best part was that the guitar was still displaying the original price, which I knew had gone up by about 80 quid as it was on their website. I feigned ignorance when they mentioned the rise and a deal was done for the guitar and a hard case.
    I've done a couple of gigs with it now, absolutely great! A lovely single coil growl from the bridge p/u. More mellow and fuller on the double coil neck p/u. The best bit is the feedback coupled with the Bigsby. This is my first Bigsby and I'm loving it. Get in front of the amp and strum a chord or pick a note, then gently vibrate the arm and you get fantastic note blooms and controlled feedback and sustain. I think the other band members may be getting slightly bored with it now!
    The Gretsch is now my main squeeze. I was doing our first set with a Tele and the second set with my Gold Top. Now the Gold Top is my backup guitar, the Gretsch does it all.

Secondly, a friend of mine had an Epiphone ES335 Dot hanging on his wall. He plays bass and hadn't really used it much. About 18 months ago he was thinking of selling, but we couldn't agree on a price. He was asking more than they were fetching on line etc.
    Anyway, last week he phoned me to see if I was still interested, as he urgently needed to raise some cash.
    The asking price was what I had offered previously. KERCHING!

Here she is.

It originally had gold witches hat knobs fitted, but I prefer speed knobs. I may get some gold ones and see what they look like.
    Again, a lovely neck, lovely sounds. So far I've only played it indoors and at rehearsal. I've yet to play it at a gig, trouble is I have the Gretsch now!

Oh, and apparently I can't possibly need ten guitars. so there may have to be some losses in the ranks.

Rock n roll.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
    Twitter: @fender6ix @TheRockstox

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    Re: Double incoming!
    « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 03:56:29 AM »
  • Publish
  • Whadaya mean you don't need ten guitars?

Those look nice. Love the green Gretsch. It's not easy being green, but that sure is easy on the eyes.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Johnny-English

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 08:20:54 AM »
  • Publish
  • Now that looks  stunning , love the Green finish

Offline davidj

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 01:35:03 PM »
  • Publish
  • Just fab - congratulations!  that's "only" ten guitars remember, too many is never enough!
    I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Offline vic108

• Pop culture destroys everything it touches
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 05:05:49 PM »
  • Publish
  • Wow! A nice double shot of guitar love!!

Guitars will get you through times of no money better
    than money will get you through times of no guitars

Offline Daniel T

• In search of fuzz, not farts
      • View Profile
      • Daniel's blog
    « Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 01:38:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • Still loving the look of the Gretch... I hope you'll be very happy together.

Any thoughts on comparisons between the two? Has the dot been able to keep up in the race for your affection?
    I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Offline fender6ix

• View Profile
      • The Rockstox
    « Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 07:23:40 PM »
  • Publish
  • Any thoughts on comparisons between the two? Has the dot been able to keep up in the race for your affection?
    Daniel, Comparisons.............hmmm. I've really not played the dot much through an amp in anger yet. I haven't had a lot of spare time to spend on guitars, or anything for that matter. The dot strings are, at best guess 2 or 3 years old, possibly more. I've used the Gretsch lots as I rehearse with it also gig with it now. I'm still getting different settings sorted out during gigs, still loving the Bigsby........it really is "kid with a new toy" syndrome.
    Hopefully, I'll get a bit of time soon to change the strings on the dot and dial it in how I like it. It is currently hanging on the living room wall, so I do pull it down and play it acoustically quite often. It's one of those guitars that just feels "right". The Gretsch is very "toppy" when played acoustically, and loses out to the dot in that situation.
    I think I will probably start taking the dot out gigging in the "not so nice" public houses where I would think twice about taking the Gretsch.
    ................and then there's the others that I'm neglecting...................................... :-[ :-[
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
    Twitter: @fender6ix @TheRockstox

Offline Vision Guitars

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • Vision Guitars
    « Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 01:38:18 PM »
  • Publish
  • What a pair of beauites!

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments