December 14, 2017, 02:13:17 AM

Author Topic: Learning to fingerpick  (Read 2538 times)

Offline DavidHutton

• View Profile
    • soundcloud
Learning to fingerpick
« on: September 02, 2015, 12:54:04 PM »
Hi,

I started to learn guitar about 3-4 years as a bit of a mid-life crises.   Purchased a Taylor 314ce which was well to good for me, but used it as motivation to learn.  I have been learning from the excellent Mark Hanson books and am still only about half way through Art of Solo Fingerpicking.  Slow progress I know but I keep distracting myself with trying to write the odd tune.  Even though progress is slow learning the guitar its one of the best things I have done.  Trying not to think 'Wish I had done this earlier'.

I only play acoustic at this stage, but would love to have ago at electric at some point (perhaps a Taylor t5z).

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
Re: Learning to fingerpick
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:39:59 AM »
Congratulations on having a super guitar. I had its twin many years ago now, the 314CE and it was an absolute belter of a guitar.

Personally, I believe that taking the approach you have, will stand you in great stead as you develop your range  and repertoire. I played nothing but Finger Style for 7 solid years before ever picking up an electric. My seen by many as "curious" hybrid picking style, (Fingerstyle to you and me) really allowed me to do things that in those days, were regarded as quite clever. Of course, nowadays it is all old hat, but some 45 years ago.... well let's just say things were VERY different!! ;)

Keep at it Matey. Have you discovered alternate tunings yet?
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline DavidHutton

• View Profile
    • soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 11:09:31 AM »
Thanks for the welcome!

I am a big fan of Knopfler, Chet Atkins and Leo kottke, so if I fingerprinting (and Travis) was definitely the best place for me to start. 

As for alternative tunings I am still on standard or drop d.  Once I have completed the Art of Solo Fingerpicking I fancy learning a bit of Hawaiian slack key, which I believe will be a good introduction to alternative tunings.  Would love to learn a bit of slide, going into the world of open tunings.  Its going to take me some time to get there though!

Johnny-English

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 09:59:10 PM »
Hi David,
Looks like you are the right road , those are super guitars .

You do know that the road is never ending , you will be learning and honing your skills along that road so just enjoy 🎶

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments