October 20, 2017, 08:14:51 AM

TokaiL Electric Guitars

Author Topic: New to guitar so need advice!!  (Read 1566 times)

Chris wood

New to guitar so need advice!!
« on: September 05, 2015, 11:36:50 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hello all and thank you in advance for any replies. I'm interested in learning the guitar but I am a complete novice and don't really know where I would start. Is acoustic better than electric? What sort of sensible starting price should I be considering? Should l also learn to read music or should I concentrate on the instrument and just playing some of my favourite tunes by memory for now? Some may say, at 28, I'm too old to be starting to learn but I have been interested in learning for nearly 10 years but work commitments and children have given me enough to concentrate on! I'm happy to self teach and I'm not a quitter so once I have bought my guitar that's me learning until I have cracked it!!

Online Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    Re: New to guitar so need advice!!
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 02:31:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • At 28 you are a mere Babe in Arms Chris!!  ;D

I suspect you'll get many differing views on this, but for my money, I always recommend starting out on an acoustic. I think because of the more organic feel and approach, this works best and make the "connection" between the player and the instrument, somehow, seem more real. ;)

The internet is your friend these days and there is no need to worry about learning to read "The Dots" as so much is now done using Tablature which is the guitarist's weapon of choice these days. That said, learning to read can never harm the process, but it shouldn't become a chore or a distraction from doing the best thing.... Playing.
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Chris wood

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 08:58:20 PM »
  • Publish
  • Yea so far the Internet is my friend! I'm not planning on lessons but I'm edging towards an electric guitar asthmatic was my first instinct. Just about looking around and choosing the right set up now

Johnny-English

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 11:57:56 PM »
  • Publish
  • Regarding the internet as Rob said , the internet is your friend so a recommendation would be Justin Sandcore

Here is the  link. http://www.justinguitar.com/

Brilliant site , just about every thing you need to kick start your guitar journey .

A first guitar to look at and value for money would be from the Yamaha range , acoustic or electric .

The electric Yamaha Pacific range are fantastic ,so worth a look.

Chris wood

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 02:03:56 PM »
  • Publish
  • I have done some digging and I have decided electric is the way for me. I'm thinking about getting a squier affinity stratocaster which comes with a bag, strap, tuner, audio lead and an amp. So I'm thinking nice little set up to get me practicing. Does anyone know what they're like? A friend said he had one as his first guitar and then went onto get an expensive one after a couple of years.

Johnny-English

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 08:17:38 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi Chris,

If you have a music store you can get to ,then I would highly recommend popping along to try a few out .
    If you know anyone who can play guitar then take them along to check the playability .

The last thing you need is a guitar that's a finger grater that will put you off for life 🎶🎶
    « Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 04:27:45 PM by Johnny-English »

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments