October 20, 2017, 08:14:58 AM

TokaiL Electric Guitars

Author Topic: A Minor Pentatonic Scale  (Read 1159 times)

garyallen49

A Minor Pentatonic Scale
« on: September 23, 2015, 11:05:54 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi All

Have a query with regard to the A minor pentatonic scale.  I am doing the Rockschool guitar debut course.  In that course it gives the starting point for this scale as open A string followed by the A string at the 3rd fret. on the internet the start point for this is the 5th fret on the low E string. Can anyone clear up this confusion for me.

Offline John H

• Admin
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • John's Music
    Re: A Minor Pentatonic Scale
    « Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 03:33:21 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi. They are both the same note. The fifth fret on the low E string is an A. In order, E F F# G G# A, then the next string is A A# B C C# D

Move this up to the fifth fret of the low E string, and you have A A# B C C#, then on the A string D D# E F F#.

It is easier to see this if you can find one of those nice fingerboard charts. If not, it always helps to draw it out yourself.

I always found it helpful to draw charts of all the different scales.

Maybe someone else who has some internet friendly charts could post them to expand on my explanations.

Good luck.
    « Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 03:36:30 AM by John H »
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Online Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:41:13 AM by Rob S »
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments