December 14, 2017, 02:09:33 AM

Cort Acoustic Guitars

Author Topic: Tanglewood or Faith Electro Acoustic Guitar  (Read 2246 times)

Offline torque79

• View Profile
Tanglewood or Faith Electro Acoustic Guitar
« on: December 04, 2015, 11:54:11 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi all,

I'd appreciate some guidance on picking a guitar between 1 Tanglewood and 1 Faith guitars? 

I have recently started to learn to play the guitar and decided to take a plunge and purchase one of my own. 

Faith Naked Series Venus Electro Acoustic Guitar - http://www.faithguitars.com/guitars/by-series/naked-series/product/125-fkv-venus-concert-cutaway-electro 

Tanglewood Nashville V super folk cutaway - http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/product/nashville-v-tn5-sfce-av/

What are the pros and cons of each? 
    Are they both easy to tune? 

Any help is greatly appreciate. 

thanks.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    Re: Tanglewood or Faith Electro Acoustic Guitar
    « Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 12:04:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi There,

Both have their qualities, but before you make a final decision, maybe have a word with our very own Mark who own Vision Guitars (and this forum)
    He stocks Cort, which I have always rated as a really good brand, built in the same factory as many other brands, but for my money, they always put that bit extra into their own named range. Tremendous value for money and made using all the nicer timbers.
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Vision Guitars

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • Vision Guitars
    « Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 12:19:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi, I don't have any experience of the 2 guitars you have mentioned but having had a look at them i would suggest you also check out the Yamaha Compass series CPX500, these are just brilliant for the money and hugely popular at the moment. . I've just sold the one i had in stock but have a sunburst one due in next week.

Also Cort do a similar guitar which is usually around ?349 and is often on a deal which includes a free hard case :-)

Offline DavidHutton

• View Profile
      • soundcloud
    « Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 03:22:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi,

I have not played either guitar, but can say that Faith have an excellent reputation in the lower-mid price range acoustic guitars.  One thing to note is that the Faith looks to be a solid woods back and side and the Tanglewood laminate back and sides.  The later is normally much cheaper, though not necessarily worse.  All solid guitars tend to sound better as they get older, laminates stay the same.

My real advice is to not really listen to too many reviews or opinions, but actually go to some shops and try some.  Also actually buy the guitar you buy because these factory made guitars vary a lot.

SOUND
    Bring someone with you who can play (or get the store guys to play it for you) so you can hear what it sounds like.  The sound on a acoustic is different from when you are playing it  to standing in front of it.

Are you planning to play mostly plugged in?  Then try it plugged in.

Unfortunate the strings (brand and age) can seriously effect the sound, but if it sounds god with old strings it will sound even better with new..

FEEL/COMFORT
    The thickness,shape and scale of the neck will all be different and what is best is all down to personal preference.  You will only know this if you try it.   The thickness and shape of the body also really effects the comfort, particularly if playing sitting down.  To me the comfort of the guitar is really the most important thing as you are going to hopefully be spending a lot of time playing it!

SETUP
    Note a lot of factory guitars come in with a high action and can make a guitar feel awkward to play.  Its worth noting you can get a guitar setup for around ?50, so you may want to factor this into your costing.  Its probably worth doing if not already done by the dealer.

If you go around a few shops the likelihood is that your perfect guitar will jump out at you and hopefully not for above your budget. (In fact don't try the ones above your budget)

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 10:56:09 AM »
  • Publish
  • Good points all from David, but I would also point out that anything that comes from Mark is set up to perfection before it leaves his premises. We put this to the test a while ago when he asked me over the phone how I wanted a guitar set up. I went into thorough detail and that is exactly what I got upon the guitar's arrival.
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Johnny-English

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 03:04:26 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi,

As ever the guys have come back with brilliant advice , I can also second Rob regarding the set up Mark gives to the guitars he sells .Mine was set up spot on the way I had told Mark .

Just wondering , are you specifically after an electoacoustic !

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments