October 23, 2017, 03:43:42 AM

Author Topic: Fender Blues Junior or Hot Rod Deluxe  (Read 937 times)

Offline ashdale

• View Profile
Fender Blues Junior or Hot Rod Deluxe
« on: January 23, 2016, 12:06:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • My band plays blues and country but increasingly now, rockabilly. Venues are pubs and social clubs. I?m changing from playing a Martin D18 through a Marshall AS50R amp to a Gretsch 6120 playing through a Fender tube amp yet to be bought. Friends have suggested the Fender Blues Junior but I see it?s only a 15 W amp. Will that be loud enough against drums and bass? Previously with the 50W of the Marshall I could hold my own. In the back of my mind I seem to recall being told of a ratio of 3 for comparing valve to solid-state amps, meaning the Blues Junior is equivalent to a 45W solid-state, but could somebody confirm this?

Or should I be spending the extra ?200-odd and getting a Hot Rod Deluxe which at least has 40W? The trouble is, the Hot Rod Deluxe is a lot heavier to lug into a car boot and into venues all the time!!!

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    Re: Fender Blues Junior or Hot Rod Deluxe
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 04:26:40 PM »
  • Publish
  • The Blues Junior has long been a favourite with many Players. I shouldn't worry too much about its power as in the worst case scenario, you can always pop a Mic in front if you need a bit more projection. Lovely Amps.

The Hot Rod Deluxe is a much bigger and heavier old beast as you say. My bet is the Blues Junior will be more than ample for the job in hand. ;)
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline davidj

• View Profile
    Re: Fender Blues Junior or Hot Rod Deluxe
    « Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 01:01:00 PM »
  • Publish
  • I've used a Blues Junior for lot's of gigs - highly recommended, very versatile and loud enough for most clubs.  I play in a band with a biggish horn section, electric organ and piano (as well as drums and bass and four vocalists) so cutting through is a requirement!

It's usually mic'ed up although that is mainly to give our live sound guy control over the mix.  I don't think I've ever run it flat out.

Portability is very good.  I can't speak for the 40w option but if you like the Blues Junior's sound, I wouldn't worry about loudness - it should be plenty.
    I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments